3rd Party Backup Programs - What if program is discontinued?

tfastg

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2013
Hello,

I'm trying to set up a bulletproof backup plan for my family's five computers. I want to set it up so that all five PCs are backed up to a 3 TB drive connected to one of the desktop computers we have. However, the native Windows 7 Backup and Restore software doesn't allow backing up to a network location if you have Win 7 Home Edition - and that's what we've got.

So I've downloaded a couple of free backup programs - Paragon Backup and Recovery 2012 Free, and Macrium Reflect.

My question is - what if these programs are discontinued and I need to restore my files or use one of the system images I created with them? Will I be able to do so without the programs installed?

In other words, are the backups these programs create all the same? Can I restore them with the native Windows program? Will their system images be restored using Windows System Image Recovery?

Thanks so much

Solution
My question is - what if these programs are discontinued and I need to restore my files or use one of the system images I created with them? Will I be able to do so without the programs installed?
You will need the program that created the backup in order to restore it. In some cases even down to the exact version number.

In other words, are the backups these programs create all the same?
Most everyone has their own proprietary format.

Can I restore them with the native Windows program?
Highly unlikely.

Will their system images be restored using Windows System Image Recovery?
again, highly unlikely.

ex_bubblehead

Distinguished
You will need the program that created the backup in order to restore it. In some cases even down to the exact version number.

In other words, are the backups these programs create all the same?
Most everyone has their own proprietary format.

Can I restore them with the native Windows program?
Highly unlikely.

Will their system images be restored using Windows System Image Recovery?
again, highly unlikely.

Solution

tfastg

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2013

Thanks for the response. Just to make sure I get it:

Say I use Macrium Reflect to save system images to a network location, then the hard drive on one of our laptops fails and I replace it. The only way I'd be able to use my saved system image is if I use Macrium Reflect to restore it?

ex_bubblehead

Distinguished

Correct.