Solved! 4.2 setup out of 2 stereo jacks?

Sep 18, 2019
Hi!

I have a movie night at school and i have to do the tech (audio, video etc) and i have a question.
I have 4 top speakers and two subs. could i make a 4.2 or at least a 4.0 with the subs on the front two speakers (with crossover ofcourse) out of my laptops soundcard for the back (quality haven't to be that good) and my usb soundcard for the speakers in the front?
i even have speakers in the ceiling so i could connect them as well, if someone has some great ideas.
i play the movie from dvd so there is an 5.1 source. any software or opensource program should do well..

p.s. i run professional grade speakers, so it sounds nice in stereo but 4.2 should sound much better.

Thanx!
Daniël

Solution
Hi! Thanx for you answer!

It are not regular speakers, they are made to do festivals of conferances. Thats why i want 4.1, the speakers are very professional, so it would be nice if i could get every bit out of them

Daniël

Does not matter what the type of speakers they are, they are still speakers. You did not list your full setup yet. Running surround sound for movies is not the same thing as just having stereo sound come from all directions. That part is easy, just split the audio in two and run half to front speakers, half to the rear speakers. Just remember that left/right information would be backwards on the rear speakers or you will have right audio coming from the left site at the back.

But none of that really...
You don't want to split the audio to two sound cards. Just run the single output to the amp/receiver that is powering the speakers or to the speakers if they are powered. You can run a mixer if needed.

Without knowing exactly what you are working with there is no way to really give any suggestions.

If those are regular passive speakers you can just use a standard receiver and a DVD player to run 5.1 audio not a laptop.

Sep 18, 2019

It are not regular speakers, they are made to do festivals of conferances. Thats why i want 4.1, the speakers are very professional, so it would be nice if i could get every bit out of them

Daniël

Daniël

Does not matter what the type of speakers they are, they are still speakers. You did not list your full setup yet. Running surround sound for movies is not the same thing as just having stereo sound come from all directions. That part is easy, just split the audio in two and run half to front speakers, half to the rear speakers. Just remember that left/right information would be backwards on the rear speakers or you will have right audio coming from the left site at the back.

But none of that really matters without knowing what you are working with, size of room, etc... As I said, can't give any suggestions without knowing your equipment and layout. What you use for a classroom with 30 people is different than what you would use in an auditorium with 300.

Solution