4 ohm speaker to 8 ohm crossover

Jun 13, 2018
I'm looking on switching a sub that was ruined by the previous owner. The crossover was designed for a 8 ohm speaker, but I have a sub lying around that is 4 ohm. will the crossover effect the output of the sub? the main reason i ask this is cause i want to connect it to a receiver with a 8 ohm recommendation, but i don't want to blow the receiver in doing so. thank you in advance

doolittle

Distinguished
Crossovers are tuned for a specific frequency related to impedance, most basic (1st order) crossovers low freq are usually 1/2 so for 100hz @ 8-ohm it will change to ~50hz @ 4-ohm.

As long as it can handle the power of using the 4-ohm driver (will be double the 8-ohm load) should be fine. If the sub is dual-coil you can always wire in series to make an 8-ohm load, which I did for my DIY sub for home audio use to drop the power demand (used and old PC power supply lol)

doolittle

Distinguished
Crossovers are tuned for a specific frequency related to impedance, most basic (1st order) crossovers low freq are usually 1/2 so for 100hz @ 8-ohm it will change to ~50hz @ 4-ohm.

As long as it can handle the power of using the 4-ohm driver (will be double the 8-ohm load) should be fine. If the sub is dual-coil you can always wire in series to make an 8-ohm load, which I did for my DIY sub for home audio use to drop the power demand (used and old PC power supply lol)

CaptainCretin

Commendable
Jul 18, 2016
To add to the above, a cross-over is also usually tuned to match the characteristics of the speakers it will be used with; although generic crossovers do exist.

If the new sub has a diffferent roll-off frequency (the point at which output suddenly drops of), you may get a significantly different sound out of it compared to the old one.

If the subwoofer is active then the sub amp will have to be stable into 4 ohms and you will need to change the woofer level.
If the crossover is passive then when you insert the 4 ohm woofer it will play 3db louder than the 8 ohm woofer. The crossover frequency might change but the impedance that the amp sees will be lower than before. That could damage the amp or make it go into protection.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
seanybuoy Audio 0
eevil Audio 4
A Audio 2
J Audio 1
V Audio 4
J Audio 1
T Audio 1
B Audio 4
V Audio 12
G Audio 2
C Audio 1