4 ohm sub woofer from 3 ohm hi fi?

Rowsta77

Prominent
Feb 23, 2017
I don't want to sound stupid but is there a way to run my car sub woofer (4 ohm) from my hi-fi (3 ohm) and still get the desired performance from the sub woofer

Solution
The problem with car subwoofers and home stereo is that you need a high power amp to get good punch from a subwoofer. Car amps don't work because it is impractical to generate the 12VDC required. The hi-fi you have may not have a low pass output to filter out the frequencies the subwoofer can't support.

Most home stereos are not 3ohm compatible. That is very low impedance for home audio equipment. Some pre-built home stereos have 3 ohm speakers but they are designed for the speakers they are sold with, not generic speakers.

kanewolf

Judicious
The problem with car subwoofers and home stereo is that you need a high power amp to get good punch from a subwoofer. Car amps don't work because it is impractical to generate the 12VDC required. The hi-fi you have may not have a low pass output to filter out the frequencies the subwoofer can't support.

Most home stereos are not 3ohm compatible. That is very low impedance for home audio equipment. Some pre-built home stereos have 3 ohm speakers but they are designed for the speakers they are sold with, not generic speakers.

Solution

Rowsta77

Prominent
Feb 23, 2017