4 red and black no reciever

Steven_118

Commendable
Oct 18, 2016
I have a new house with 4 in wall plugs for speakers each has 2 red and 2 black rca outlets but where do I plug the reciever in?

kanewolf

Judicious
I don't know, since RCA plugs are not usually associated with speaker wiring. You may need to take one of the plates off and look inside to see what kind of wiring you have. To trace the wiring, I would take an old RCA patch cable and cut in half. Twist the wires together on one half and keep them separate on the other. Plug the shorted half into a plug and use the other half with an ohm meter to find out where the wire goes by plugging it into other ports until you find the short.

You did not say whether you have speakers connected (or installed).

You can use same cable to actually find out whether these outlets go to a speaker. Plug one end into the outlet, and connect a 1.5V battery to the other end, for a second. If you hear a "click" from the speakers, then this is speaker connection (you could also use ohm-meter to do that).

Steven_118

Commendable
Oct 18, 2016

Steven_118

Commendable
Oct 18, 2016
Ok I opened up one of the sockets the 2 red plugs have balck and red wires going to it and the black plugs have only black wires does that mean I can plug the reciever in to any of the others and it'll be a complete circuit.

Steven_118

Commendable
Oct 18, 2016