42" LG Invalid Signal ?!?!?!

bctaaka

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2008
ok so when I already have my tv on and go to turn my pc on I can not see the POST screen and windows logo on my LG LCD HDTV via my Sapphire hd 3650 's dvi->hdmi converter and a brand new hdmi v1.3 cable which is also plugged into a hdmi 1.3 slot.

I keep getting "invalid signal" from tv but Windows xp64 starts up (comes up on the screen)just fine seconds later no problem. have tried with vga cable and can get into BIOS and see post screen but will not work via hmdi ....wtf??

anyone know how to fix this? shouldn't the new tech (hdmi) be able to display this easy feat?

is there something i need to do in CCC (Catalyst Control Center) ??
using latest catalyst 8.6 for xp64 and 42LG230 HDTV

any help would be appreciated as I don't want to use that P.O.S cable (vga) just to get into bios everytime :non: :non:

Damn. Sorry. I never got to check this last night. Will e-mail myself to check it when I get home tonight.

Yes. I'm running an HTPC to HDTV, but I'm not using an DVI -> HDMI adapter. I have a dedicated DVItoHDMI cable.

-Wolf sends

Edit:

Ok. I got home and rebooted my HTPC. Yes, I do get the POST and the Windows XP loading screens. Not sure what the problem could be other than possibly the DVI->HDMI converter you're using. Seems to be the only difference between our setups.

For reference, I'm running an ATI HD 2600Pro connected to an Olevia 232T HDTV and Catalyst 8.6 drivers.

bctaaka

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2008
well thanks for getting back to me man.....

yeah might be the converter ....Q: Is there any performance or quality loss with using a converter like I am as compared to what u have?

If not, I just might get one off the egg

I wouldn't expect any quality loss given that it's a digital to digital conversion, but I could be wrong. I think my next step would be to contact LG and make sure there isn't anything weird about the HDMI input on the TV. On my Olevia set, I couldn't get any signal from the HDMI input. I contacted them and they said I first had to set my resolution to 1280x720 to get the signal and then I could up it to 1366x768

-Wolf sends