4G LTE Signal Booster Amplifies Cell Phone Signal by 20X

Status
Not open for further replies.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Either that's some weird contraption or it is a rather unfortunate photo.

I don't see myself holding that next to my ear to make a call :)

03flat4

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2006
freggo I hope so too. In that picture it's hooked up to a Mifi device, which I hope you don't use near your ears :) I'd assume you place it somewhere near you, cradle the mifi onto it if you have one, and use your cell phone as usual.

G

It boosts/amplify the recieved signal to Mobile not the sent from Mobile.
What it is practice means is you possibly get a higher troughput in traffic to the mobile, but you wont get be farther away from antenna as the signal from Mobile is still the limiting factor.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]kalleAnka[/nom]It boosts/amplify the recieved signal to Mobile not the sent from Mobile.What it is practice means is you possibly get a higher troughput in traffic to the mobile, but you wont get be farther away from antenna as the signal from Mobile is still the limiting factor.[/citation]

the only thing that may have made it usefull.

ammaross

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
It has what looks like a coax connector coming off the bottom, so it likely wires into an antenna that gets strung somewhere. Seems to have been made for a car and using a hands-free. Streaming audio/video perhaps?

TheKurrgan

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
Wow, its amazing no one knows how this really works..
Here is the break down:
You have a cell phone. it has an antenna. Said antenna is very tiny, and has no gain (increase in signal strength beyond standing wave)
To understand what I'm about to write, I must explain signal measurement.
Signal is measured in dBm. The iPhone 4 Shows 5 Bars at around -75dBm, and 1 bar at -105dBm.
Signal is measured in NEGATIVE dBm.
What this device has, is an external antenna. With a small magnetic mount antenna you can get between 2 and 5dBm of GAIN, which means it would add to the signal strength by -5dBm. So if you are at -105, it'll raise the signal to -100.
Doesn't sound like much, but every 3dBm of signal is DOUBLE what it was.
So the antenna adds about 5dBm, then there is an amplifier that adds around another 20-40.
However when it does this, it also amplifies the noise. So just like amplifying a very quiet old school audio cassette, you can HEAR it better, but there is a hiss.
This additional signal strength will up the bars to 5 obviously, but the quality of the signal is lower.
It is also worth noting that this amplification IS TWO WAY. The Amplifier will gain up the signal you send back, as will the antenna.
This is where the majority of the help is, since the tower usually looses your signal before you loose its.
These devices are known as Bi Directional Amplifiers. This one uses a small antenna inside the dock to get the signal to the phone after the amplification, and as such there is a lot of loss between the device and the antenna.
All in all, these will work great for keeping you in contact, but don't expect decent data rates in areas where signal is already sketchy to begin with.
Key point to remember: The signal is actually only amplified with decent quality at the antenna.. The powered amplifier will bring in noise with the signal..
So get a decent antenna to go with this and you may get decent results..

G

@TheKurrgan, Thanks for your great explanation. I couldn't have made it easier to understand.
These technologies can indeed become rather complicated and as pointed out, the environment also has a role to play.
Quantum Wireless is already selling the Sleek 4G-V: http://www.quantum-wireless.com/blog/the-wilson-sleek-4g-v-available-for-pre-order-with-quantum-7965/

G

im wondering if i can find a booster that i can walk away from my vichicle and still talk on my cell phone and how far can i walk from the booster and still work. ron

Status
Not open for further replies.