4K laptop has choppy video on 4k video played on VLC

Joe Blow

Estimable
Mar 12, 2015
I bought this (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834317540) laptop, and tried to watch a 4k video on Youtube. It was choppy. I buffered, still choppy. I downloaded a 4k video, AND VLC, still choppy. I updated by graphics card, still choppy. I set the VLC output to Open GL, still choppy.
Any advice? or is the 4k part meant for gaming?
I'm confused, please help.

Solution
VLC released an update back in 2013 claiming it was 4k ready. But VLC media player still does not support 4K video playback perfectly. So if you downloaded a 4k video off Youtube for example even though it would be illegal, VLC I still would consider to be in the beta phase so you most likely won't get it to play perfectly. Guessing you have a legal .FLV file you could convert the file to .mp4 so it can work on a player that does support it.

eatmypie

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013
VLC released an update back in 2013 claiming it was 4k ready. But VLC media player still does not support 4K video playback perfectly. So if you downloaded a 4k video off Youtube for example even though it would be illegal, VLC I still would consider to be in the beta phase so you most likely won't get it to play perfectly. Guessing you have a legal .FLV file you could convert the file to .mp4 so it can work on a player that does support it.

Solution