4K TV with somewhat old laptop

tinynja98

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2015
Hi, first off, I know there are many websites where this is discussed about, I searched for quite some time to find a solution by myself, but without success.

I have this 4K television on which I have this somewhat old laptop.

Right now, it is connected to the television via an HDMI cable (through a Pioneer HTP071 sound system), and it is using, by default, a resolution of 1920x1080.

Here is the current video configuration: default configs
Here are some informations about my TV from the intel control panel: UN50KU6270 Information
Here are some further informations provided by the intel control panel: More informations.

I have tried to add a custom resolution with these settings, but i tells me that it exceeds the maximum bandwidth. I have also tried setting the refresh rate of that same custom resolution to 30, but it tells my i entered an invalid parameter.

Is there something I'm doing wrong or it's simply impossible to output a 4k resolution to my television from that laptop with my current setup?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Solution
No, you still have to have a higher bandwidth hdmi cable to support even 4k @ 30hz. I had this issue with the 295x2 and I had to get an upgraded cable to support it at that bandwidth. A standard 1.4 hmdi cable wont support it.

englandr753

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2007
Even if your laptop was able to support 4k res, you have to have the correct hdmi cable (2.0) not 1.4, in which you likely have to support that bandwidth. If its an older laptop, I dont believe you can send 4k res to the TV...

tinynja98

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2015

But doesn't HDMI 1.4 allow for 4k @ 30 fps? Since TV is (if im not mistaken) running at 30ish fps, I wouldn't mind having to use 4k @ 30fps. Would that be possible?

englandr753

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2007
No, you still have to have a higher bandwidth hdmi cable to support even 4k @ 30hz. I had this issue with the 295x2 and I had to get an upgraded cable to support it at that bandwidth. A standard 1.4 hmdi cable wont support it.

Solution