5.1[6 channel] in 2[channel]

smgokulnath

Commendable
Jun 30, 2016
Hi,
I have a computer with 2 speakers..If I play a file with 5.1 surround audio, what exactly is happening with channeling process.?
Where is the sound of the rear two channel in 5.1 audio file is going..? Is that audible in my 2 channel system or that can be heard or not..?What is happening there..?

Solution
normally audio is downgraded to stereo if there isnt a stereo audio file associated with the video. the rear audio generally just pushes to the front channels. you arent going to get any fake virtual surround sound by doing this.

i suppose there may be certain scenarios or certain combinations of devices which dont downgrade but everything i've used thus far is fine.

GeRgY

Admirable
Hello!

The sound should be automatically changed from 5.1 to 2(stereo). If you have a problem with that... check your sound settings or video/audio codecs.

p.s. Give us more information about your sound card.

smgokulnath

Commendable
Jun 30, 2016

Yeah,
Consider I put a MP4 video file with 6 channel[5.1] Audio to a TV with USB support with only 2 channel audio out.
What happens now..?
Will the 5.1 will be converted to 2 channel stereo..?
And if Rear Audio is converted to 2 channel..
How does that sound in 2 Channel..?
Does that sound like hearing from the rear end maybe applying some modulations...?
OR Does that just play the audio of the rear in the front..?

normally audio is downgraded to stereo if there isnt a stereo audio file associated with the video. the rear audio generally just pushes to the front channels. you arent going to get any fake virtual surround sound by doing this.

i suppose there may be certain scenarios or certain combinations of devices which dont downgrade but everything i've used thus far is fine.

Solution