5.1 sound on a computer

Omer19965

Estimable
Oct 6, 2014
Hello.
I have all the connections that needed (black, orange, grey, green red all that) on my motherboard.
I have a 5.1 home theater system Samsung HT-F450K and I have no idea if it's even possible, so can you guys help me out ? thx

ssddx

Glorious
your HT only has two inputs...

r+w rca (you could use a 3.5mm stereo male to 2x rca connector) that will give you 2.0 sound only

or you could use optical out of your motherboard (if you have it). though i'm not sure of 2 things. 1) if your motherboard supports DDL (needed for 5.1 over optical) and 2) if your HT even allows more than stereo sound from an input (which often is not the case in cheap systems).

ssddx

Glorious
your HT only has two inputs...

r+w rca (you could use a 3.5mm stereo male to 2x rca connector) that will give you 2.0 sound only

or you could use optical out of your motherboard (if you have it). though i'm not sure of 2 things. 1) if your motherboard supports DDL (needed for 5.1 over optical) and 2) if your HT even allows more than stereo sound from an input (which often is not the case in cheap systems).

Omer19965

Estimable
Oct 6, 2014
Well I do have a optical cable and the connection on my motherboard but I don't think it's 5.1 cause I used to use it and it says 2CH so there is nothing I can do I guess huh ?

ssddx

Glorious
well... you could get a soundcard for which supports optical. i do believe the $27 xonar dg does 5.1 over optical.

or you could go the (worse quality) cheaper route and get a usb soundcard adapter for it.

however i'm not sure if your home theater actually accepts 5.1 via optical so it may not work. try to look in your manual to see if it says anything about being stereo only for aux sources. i looked but didnt see anything but given the simplicity of the unit my *guess* would be that it only supports stereo.

if your home theater supports pro logic or other modes you could *fake* the extra channels in though. this would be fine for movies but wouldnt really help you for games.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Streaming Video & TVs 1
A Streaming Video & TVs 3
N Streaming Video & TVs 2
A Streaming Video & TVs 1
R Streaming Video & TVs 9
N Streaming Video & TVs 2
S Streaming Video & TVs 2
X Streaming Video & TVs 2
B Streaming Video & TVs 5