5.1 sound rear speakers volume too low... how to balance rear/front volume?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jorge_acosta

Estimable
Jan 28, 2016
Hello just got a Logitech Z506 Surround System, it is a 5.1 set up. I got it mainly to play video games on my pc using surround sound.. I have my front speakers on both edges of my desk and my center speaker beneath my monitor. The rear speakers are placed about 5 feet behind me, at a 45° angle. I think i have an issue though, most 5.1 speaker placement diagrams seem to be with the user seating in a couch at a few feets from a tv, so the rear speakers are closer to the user than the front ones, while in a desktop PC the user is seated in front of the monitor, so the front speakers are closer than the rear speakes. I am guessing that is the reason my front speakers sound a lot louder than my rear ones, is there a way to balance the sound?? lower the front volume and raise the rear one??

My Motherboard is a gigabyte ga-990fxa-ud5 r5 wich is compatible with both 7.1 and 5.1 audio it comes with the REALTEK HD Audio software.

Solution
You should have the ability to adjust the volume of each channel in your audio control panel. Download a test signal that puts pink noise into each speaker one at a time.
http://abluesky.com/support/blue-sky-calibration-test-files/
You adjust each speaker to play at the same volume from your seating position. There are sound level meter apps or you can just use your ears. This calibrates the speakers to play the same as the mixing engineers speakers so what he mixed is what you hear.

boju

Distinguished
Under room correction in HD Audio manager you can adjust the distance and decibels.

Home audio AV receivers usually come with an optimizer mic where you would set the microphone where you would sit and let it calibrate speaker distances and volumes automatically. PC speakers will be bit more hands on if you don't have an microphone or phone. Use a tape measure and input the distances manually or see here:

http://setupsurround.blogspot.com.au/

The steps for use of mic/phone to allow Realtek to calibrate is at the bottom.

Jorge_acosta

Estimable
Jan 28, 2016
I did google about Realtek HD Audio having room correction, although i can't find the option in my Realtek Audio, here is an image i have the latest version listed in the gigabyte support page for my Motherboard.

Also i've noticed that the Realtek HD Audio version i have doesn't look like the ones that many sites show when talking about room correction.

boju

Distinguished
Im at work atm so i cant look at your response in more detail. For now if you like head over to realtek.tw website and use try their software.

Remember to disable automatic updates if using Win10 else it will continue to reinstall your current Realtek version or it's own after reboot

boju

Distinguished
Your Realtek manager UI is missing tabs. Not sure if bug or theres a setting somewhere which would allow those options to appear. Was hoping Realtek's software from their site might include.

Window's audio should have the same options. Playback devices > speaker > properties > enhancements (Or dolby)

Look for this window
audio-enhancements.png

In the box list look for room correction and tick it on. If you also click on room correction a setting tab will appear.

It should have those options there. Check Realtek hd audio manager if enabling settings in Windows will show up there?

Don't know of 3rd party software that is good and free

You should have the ability to adjust the volume of each channel in your audio control panel. Download a test signal that puts pink noise into each speaker one at a time.
http://abluesky.com/support/blue-sky-calibration-test-files/
You adjust each speaker to play at the same volume from your seating position. There are sound level meter apps or you can just use your ears. This calibrates the speakers to play the same as the mixing engineers speakers so what he mixed is what you hear.

Solution
Mar 13, 2018
I have the same audio system and the same issue, but im using a dell studio 1558 laptop with IDT Hd audio, Im going to try the solution of americanaudiophile to see how it works, i will post with the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.