Solved! 5.1 surround into PC?

AziWazzi

Commendable
Dec 23, 2016
Hi everyone!
So today I was trying to connect my Phillips 5.1 surround(home theater thing) to my PC, just so I could play games with the speakers, but my motherboard doesn't have an S/PDIF port....
https://imgur.com/gallery/uhE5o

Is there any other way for me to connect it or do I have to buy a USB sound card?

Solution
The HTS has an HDMI ARC output but that can't be used with your PC since the PC doesn't support ARC. If you have ARC on your TV you can connect the HTS to the HDMI-ARC input on that and the audio from the PC will come through the TV.
If you use a monitor and If the PC has HDMI out then you can select that as your audio device and connect an HDMI audio extractor or HDMI input selector with audio extraction to provide an SPDIF output for the HTS. The input selector allows you to connector other sources not just the PC to the HTS.

AziWazzi

Commendable
Dec 23, 2016

It has HDMI

The HTS has an HDMI ARC output but that can't be used with your PC since the PC doesn't support ARC. If you have ARC on your TV you can connect the HTS to the HDMI-ARC input on that and the audio from the PC will come through the TV.
If you use a monitor and If the PC has HDMI out then you can select that as your audio device and connect an HDMI audio extractor or HDMI input selector with audio extraction to provide an SPDIF output for the HTS. The input selector allows you to connector other sources not just the PC to the HTS.

Solution

AziWazzi

Commendable
Dec 23, 2016

My monitor has only 1 hdmi port, so a hdmi extractor would mean I couldn’t plug my pc into my monitor(maybe I could use VGA or something). Is there a way around this problem? Does the pcs hdmi plug into the extractor and then the tractor into the monitor? And finally, will an extractor get me full 5.1? Thanks for the help all!