5.1 surround sound does not work (rear speakers don't work)

Status
Not open for further replies.

costastud

Estimable
Jun 23, 2014
My sound card is a C-Media 8738.
The speakers I'm using are Logitch Z506.
I have all the connections correct. (I plugged the green yellow and black cord into the soundcard from my speakers).
I installed the driver for my soundcard and also used the Xear 3D software to set up 6 channel input aswell as going to control panel - sound - playback tab - configure and set the speakers to 5.1.
The front left and front right speakers are correct. However, the centre speaker signals the rear left speaker and the subwoofer signals the rear right speaker when I tested the sound. The rear left and rear right speakers do not produce any sound at all when I individually tested them as they might be confused by the centre speaker and subwoofer.

I have restarted the computer several times and I uninstalled then reinstalled the sound card driver to see if it resolved the issue but I'm still having the same problem.

I do not know what is causing this problem and I have checked every speaker individually to make sure they are inserted correctly as they are colour coded.

costastud

Estimable
Jun 23, 2014
I tried that and didn't work. I recently tried my speakers on an old computer to see if surround sound would work and it did. I think I have a faulty sound card and might purchase a new one since I know the speakers are fine.

nimol23

Estimable
Nov 25, 2014

Hi, did your solution work, was it a faulty sound card? I am having the exacts same problem on the exact same configuration. Tnx!

jbrianj

Estimable
Dec 20, 2014
It's NOT a faulty card, but rather a faulty plating and guide.

Where your subwoofer center is supposed to be according to the plating, put there your side/rear(black cable) and where Side channel is supposed to be, put there your center/subwoofer.

Also do NOT put the black cable in the rear output of your card, it will NOT work.

So it would be from left to right

1) SPDIFF/MIC output(This is left, Also it's placement is a bit off in comparison to the other outputs)
2) Green Cable
3) Black/Grey Cable(Grey for 7.1 systems)
4) Orange Cable

And for 7.1 systems:
5) Black cable(This is right)

I think the guys at ASUS screwed up somewhere ;)

I have the exact same problem and i found out that it was faulty instructions by randomly swapping cables around until i got the answer i'm presenting you now

Cheers,
Brian van den Berg

Status
Not open for further replies.