5 Reasons Why Amazon Can Make Android Tablets Really Compete with Apple's iPad

Status
Not open for further replies.

chronicbint

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2007
eBook reading is fine on iPad I read books almost constantly on it, except in sunlight, otherwise its excellent and it works in the dark when the wife wants to sleep. The rest I agree on, if they can delivery a decent priced Android tablet with a decent screen it might be a winner. The other current Android tablets are no iPad rival.

G

Does Tom's know something I dont? Haven't heard a peep from Amazon on the workings of their own Android tablet release.

Anyone wanna elaborate?

G

"An Android tablet would not be Amazon's first tablet" ooh yes it would, kindle is not a tablet, nor is the nook, only the nook color could be deemed one and only after it has been rooted. And until Amazon can set it's policy of fair pricing(a kindle book-download only- is pricier in France than in the US), it will never achieve the succes of the Ipad. And buying an Android tablet now would be pretty stupid since in 3 to 4 months we will so quad core designs just in time for the holidays, and since the amazon app store can be accessed from each table there is no reason to buy an amazon tablet.
My point is this article is written by a kindle fanboy

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
Tablet makers have taken the completely wrong approach to compete with the iPad. Pretty much every Android tablet has the iPad beaten on pure hardware spec and capability, but the user experience is always sub-par compared to Apple's.

I see it time and again, and I've compared side-by-side many products while speccing and price matching kit for work and for uni staff - Apple's experience is just so slick, even though the hardware is inferior.

UI animation is always so pleasing, so fluid. In fact there's probably a bit too much animation as everything transitions in some way, but it helps the eye keep focus and context to what's going and what's coming next - the user never gets lost or surprised.

Now I love my HTC Desire (for example) and I will hold it up against any iPhone out there, but the experience just isn't as slick - frame rates in animation are lower and can stutter, some responses are sluggish and once in a while there's quite a jarring jump between screens.

Same with the iPad (especially the iPad 2). So smooth, so fluid, so crisp to look at (even though the display is lacklustre), so responsive and tactile which is essential for a touch device.

You can cram all the kit you want into a tablet, but unless you can get that fluidity, responsiveness and tactile response you will never beat an iPad in the mainstream user sector. Get it right, and Apple is toast.

Tegra 2 devices have the graphical power to really ramp up the UI, let's see people do it, and I hope the Eee Transformer I'm testing for work soon will be there.

pozaks

Distinguished
May 12, 2010
So, a sampling of points that you're wrong on:

Android tablets aren't selling
No one else's Android tablets can't sell
The kindle has much in common with real tablets
The Touchpad, which is not out yet, can't compete because WebOS
The brightest screen ever will be great for reading books
Customers can't "keep their kindle purchases" right now on 10 different platforms
We're sure Amazon has something to compete with iCloud because they have a cloud
Again, there's some huge advantage to having the Kindle app built in, which it is on several devices already
The iPad 2's IPS display is a disgrace
Amazon will be able to charge more than an iPad.
eBooks are a driving force behind tablet sales, rather than a market that has been completely devoured by them

These and the mostly uninformed aspects of screen technology and market analysis makes this article basically worthless. Of course, this is the same guy who made a rambling denunciation of the WiiU that was based on second hand accounts of those who saw it at e3 mixed with a big dollop of baseless conjecture that he failed to meander to any kind of a point.

G

1. Amazon doesn't know tablets only ebook reader which are more limited in functionality than a nokia smartphone from 5 years ago
2.Existing upgrade path - if you have a amazon account you can redownload any book from any tablet using the amazon app so "tempted to look into a $400 or $500 version of a color Kindle that keeps their book purchases" is a lame argument from a narrow mind
3.Trusted consumer brand- maybe in the US but here in Europe where pricing for ebooks is higher than in the US, not for me
4. Unique content - download an app and you too can have amazon's unique content an every tablet,"it would be foolish to underestimate the power of the ebook today" Wrong it would be foolish to overestimate
5. "new developments of HD screens with super-high brightness out there" give examples i haven's seen anything that won't kill the battery or have some other negative effect
My point this whole article is a rant with no basis, written by someone who hasn't owned anything but a kindle, or is using a tablet just for reading books

G

This guy doesn't know what he is talking about...or maybe he does but I think we can all agree that the Amazon Kindle is not a tablet its an ereader...and second it wasn't that great of a success...it sold millions I guess but how long did it take to get that amount sold. I think they can pull it off though. Even the Asus Transformer pretty well its been out for about a month now and they past selling 300,000 already...versus the Motorola Xoom sell 200,000 in a 2 month period, after it came out in Febuary earlier this year. At this rate it seems the longer manufactures or companies wait to put out a Android based tablets the better results they get in sales. Can't wait to see how Samsung Tab 10.1 is going to do...it goes on sale tomorrow nationwide not NYC anymore.

G

I think if they go with the right color screen that can be viewed outside (I think OLED does?) and the right price point - $399-$499, depending on features then they will have something I would by. Time is a factor though - I'm getting close to buying and IPAD from the waiting...

dgingeri

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
on two additional conditions:

1. one version of the Android Kindle would have to have a touch e-paper display. it doesn't need super high refresh rates for most Android uses, especially for web and ebook reading. the e-paper display is what makes it a good reader.

2. that same version would have to have a matte screen texture. glossy texture causes glare, especially in sunlight. I have always hated glossy screens for that very reason. With a matte finish, it would be readable, even possibly a pleasure to read, in sunlight.

I have had a Kindle (the Kindle 2) since they were running $400. Yes, I was a somewhat early adopter. I encouraged my family to get one, and now all 3 of my sisters and my mom have Kindles. I love them. I'd love to see a Kindle Android tablet.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]pozaks[/nom]So, a sampling of points that you're wrong on:Android tablets aren't sellingNo one else's Android tablets can't sellThe kindle has much in common with real tabletsThe Touchpad, which is not out yet, can't compete because WebOSThe brightest screen ever will be great for reading booksCustomers can't "keep their kindle purchases" right now on 10 different platformsWe're sure Amazon has something to compete with iCloud because they have a cloudAgain, there's some huge advantage to having the Kindle app built in, which it is on several devices alreadyThe iPad 2's IPS display is a disgraceAmazon will be able to charge more than an iPad.eBooks are a driving force behind tablet sales, rather than a market that has been completely devoured by themThese and the mostly uninformed aspects of screen technology and market analysis makes this article basically worthless. Of course, this is the same guy who made a rambling denunciation of the WiiU that was based on second hand accounts of those who saw it at e3 mixed with a big dollop of baseless conjecture that he failed to meander to any kind of a point.[/citation]

the ipad 2 screen looks ok in person, but thats because i dont have a ipod touch/phone with the retina display, its i beleive a 315dpi or 365dpi display, and looks... words cant describe it. if you ever had a problem with seeing pixles in a video game, 300+ dpi elimates them entirely without aa, thats the best way i can describe it. so yea. the screen is ok, but far from best, and many believe they wanted a better screen (think 2650x1600 about, or close) but didn't have the volume needed. and THAT will be immaculate.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
Somebody has found a 2048x1536 image inside the iOS 5 SDK. That's exactly double the the resolution of the current iPad.

Maybe iPad 3 is going to have a "retina display" after all.

smeker

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
5. The display opportunity
Absolutely disagree. Ipad and iPad 2 still have one of the best tablet screens. High contrast and colors and reading eBooks is a pleasure, especially at night due to the back-light.

There are some valid points in the article, but this is highly biased piece of writing....

Two thumbs down...

dgingeri

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Every time I see this commercial:

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/03/25/apple-debuts-new-iphone-4-commercial-featuring-retina-display/

I respond to the TV with a simple "I'm glad I don't" and give them the finger, just for the principle of the matter.

pacioli

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
" It makes perfect sense and it is not difficult to predict that Amazon WILL succeed where Samsung and Motorola have failed."

fixed it

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
[citation][nom]molo9000[/nom]Somebody has found a 2048x1536 image inside the iOS 5 SDK. That's exactly double the the resolution of the current iPad.Maybe iPad 3 is going to have a "retina display" after all.[/citation]

Or maybe they are building in support for higher resolution output via the mini display port, since there are no 10" screens with 2048X1536 resolution. At least try to speculate logically.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]Or maybe they are building in support for higher resolution output via the mini display port, since there are no 10" screens with 2048X1536 resolution. At least try to speculate logically.[/citation]
Samsung has recently shown a 10" 2560x1600 display. There is no reason they couldn't make a 2048x1536 display.

Status
Not open for further replies.