60 GHz Wi-Fi Products Now Possible; 7Gbps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

webbwbb

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
This is pretty interesting though it does sound like it could have some bad problems as well. This is a semi-high frequency microwave and in the same range that is used for military electric countermeasures. It will also be very prone to interference and will perform very poorly in humid areas and at low altitudes. It would work great in a desert or on a mountain though.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
60 Ghz is fast but rather useless. Very few applications for this make sense (like the example of streaming to a TV in the same room). At 60 Ghz the wavelength is much shorter, hell people moving around the room could block the signal.

G

Damn that's all good news. Faster is always better- with the exception of sex, of course.

twisted politiks

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
lol, nobody could even utilize 7gb/s due to the fact that their hdd's can only read at a maximum of 300MB/s, and thats if they splurged on a SSD.

Zoonie

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
I'd like to see some long term health conduction studies on effects of radiation at this frequency. Could be interesting.

bogcotton

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
[citation][nom]twisted politiks[/nom]lol, nobody could even utilize 7gb/s due to the fact that their hdd's can only read at a maximum of 300MB/s, and thats if they splurged on a SSD.[/citation]

Not everything you see on your screen is being read directly from your hard drive.

You could write a 1kb program demanding the videocard to churn out as much information as it can, and you would end up with more than 300MB/s.

HibyPrime

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
[citation][nom]twisted politiks[/nom]lol, nobody could even utilize 7gb/s due to the fact that their hdd's can only read at a maximum of 300MB/s, and thats if they splurged on a SSD.[/citation]

300MB/s = 2.4Gb/s its not that hard to imagine saturating this...

TheKurrgan

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]amnotanoobie[/nom]I'd like to know the range on this thing. Maybe we'd be lucky if we get 5 feet on the initial products.[/citation]
I've used a few high frequency gbit proprietary products for 1gbit wireless. they work very well short range point to point, as far as projected range, these devices would barely communicate in the same room when faced away from each other, however this IS with the directional antenna. I gather that the range with a standard 2.5db di-pole antenna (note, this could be MUCH higher because of the shorter wavelength) would be around 25 meters (75 feet) reliably at a signal level the proxim stuff will operate @ 1gbit LOS. Add in objects and what not.. goes down to about 25 feet using omni antennas.. -- I'd say this particular technology is going to end up being a higher end bluetooth like technology for file transfers, or high speed equipment connection with out wires that are going to be in close proximity.. in environments where latency isnt a factor, if it proved out, you could add a "dongle" of some sort to the back of all servers in a rack, and have a downward facing AP at the top of each rack with a directional antenna.. thus getting rid of alot of ethernet cables in the NOC -- Something like that it could be useful on..

For those interested, the equipment I tried with this was a proxim 6651E Gigalink series wireless bridge set. The link operates as promised @ 2800 ft, and delivers 1000baseSX speeds as promised reliably. Average latency through the link is 0.3 MS. for $19K a set though, it better damn well deliver.

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
[citation][nom]HibyPrime[/nom]300MB/s = 2.4Gb/s its not that hard to imagine saturating this...[/citation] A ram disk could saturate it easily with a lot of room to spare so long as it meets the storage capacity requirements needed.

xophaser

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2007
This is already called IEEE 802.11ad. 60hz is Microwave e band. Wonder what part of the body this will fry. If transfer rate is at 7gbps, this would be fast enough for most devices for years to come. F mode is good enough for most people use today.

caparc

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
[citation][nom]dan117[/nom]I want range, not speed![/citation]
Copy that. Unlicensed wireless with useful range is profoundly threatening to incombant ISPs, land based and wireless, and their government cronies. Whatever happened to unlicensed WIMAX? What's the status of unlicensed white space? Both promised. It seems to me one of the best things a local community could do for itself is figure out a way to provide dirt cheap or free universal wireless internet access. That's the nightmare of every ISP on the planet.

G

I agree caparc, but the community itself is the biggest hurdle to overcome. The tech is here, I've surveyed many citizens on their opinion of: would you like to pay $200 up front, and then $10 a month for internet, cable and home phone? Almost everyone said yes. The problem is the HEADS of the community. The telecoms and cablecos have community leaders in their pocket, and the leaders will pass bills to ENSURE that no community services have the opportunity to infringe on those franchises. Want to kill a great idea? Strangle it in red tape. I live in the Dayton area, and thank god that 'anti-competitive' bill has a 15 year expiration. Only a couple more years to go, hopefully we don't get f*^*ed over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.