60GHz Tech Closer to Wireless HDMI, USB

Status
Not open for further replies.

porksmuggler

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
So without looking at the specs, but seeing as how this tech is using 60GHz EHF, we're talking maybe 20-30 feet range, direct line of sight (unless they figured out some practical beam forming). Yeah, I don't guess crowding would be much of an issue.

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]dormantreign[/nom]Looking forward to this as well. I guess they are using the Frequencies they cleared up from over that air tv broadcasting.[/citation]
This will not travel well at all. Tv broadcasts only need to be in the Mhz range to provide enough bandwidth.
I'd rather have less Ghz for more range. The router I have barely gets my entire house with it's 2.4ghz band, this is going to not even get halfway across through all the walls this house has.

palladin9479

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
This is mostly for wireless display / local device connection. Its not a competitor of WiFi because its range will be less then 30 feet direct LoS, practically we're talking 15~20 feet max. This is not for surfing the internetz, its for pushing video from your laptop / HTPC / Game console to your HDTV without needing cables. Its a wireless version of the DisplayPort connector.

phatboe

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
Ok WTF happened to WirelessHD? Now we have WiGi?!?!?!? I'm really not in the mood for another format war. We already have DisplayPort and HDMI. Seriously pick one freaking standard and stick with it.

ProDigit10

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
If you ask me, there's already way too much data going through the air as it is!
I think people need to be made more aware of wireless pollution and the dangers of it!

torque79

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
So is this enough bandwidth to stream 4k HD uncompressed video and uncompressed audio at the same time? It would be nice not to need to run speaker wire and conduits to allow HDMI and its later replacements with more uneeded revisions of a piece of copper wire through the walls of my planned Home Theater.

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]ProDigit10[/nom]If you ask me, there's already way too much data going through the air as it is!I think people need to be made more aware of wireless pollution and the dangers of it![/citation]

Traditional WiFi 'pollutes' the air because it beams in all directions randomly and hopes to encounter its destination along the way. This tech is different: it beams from A to B rather than in all directions. It's far less polluting in other words (unless you happen to sit right in the beam for a long time, but that's unlikely given the short range of this tech).

__Miguel_

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011
[citation][nom]Haserath[/nom]This will not travel well at all. Tv broadcasts only need to be in the Mhz range to provide enough bandwidth.I'd rather have less Ghz for more range. The router I have barely gets my entire house with it's 2.4ghz band, this is going to not even get halfway across through all the walls this house has.[/citation]

Hmm, I don't really know much about this tech, but from the article's text it seems it's more for high-bandwidth, close-range applications. Like Making sure your TV, STB, BR player and Media player (all of which usually sit pretty close to each other anyway) can get along with themselves without any cables (other than the mains one, that is), and also with your Internet gateway (which in small homes is just around the corner from everything else and doesn't really need Gb speeds anyway).

The same thing applies to PC and monitors, they are usually in close range of each other. They might be farther away from the router, but unless you want/need high-speed access to the NAS on the other side of the house, regular 2.4GHz/5GHz wireless might do the trick. OR, since apparently this lends itself to a mesh architecture (the text hints it's point-to-point), you might only need a couple of (hopefully cheap) mesh repeaters here and there to boost the signal to farther away spots.

Oh, and this doesn't seem a tech for input devices: this is high-bandwidth, mice, keyboards and remotes can still stick to 2.4Ghz, IMHO.

Now, I hope there's a simple way to handle video links... I'd hate it if my fast-paced FPS game was interrupted by someone in the next room pressing "play" on the BR player. Both the game being cut and the certain ensuing "Hey, what's wrong with the BR player?" would most likely p*** me off. 1-to-1 links with "in-use" locks only (except for transparent routing to other devices if needes, of course), please!

Cheers.

Miguel

Status
Not open for further replies.