7.1 Gaming headset?

SidTheSloth

Honorable
Dec 11, 2013
I am looking at the g930 and siberia v2, which do you reccomend and why? Also, what is the difference between virtual and real 7.1 sound?

ubercake

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Just about every surround headset under $200 uses some kind of virtual method for surround. They use one actual speaker on each side of the headset and virtualize the positioning. So two speakers total, trying to give you the same thing as an actual 7.1 system? Not really that great positionally, but better than plain old stereo. They try to "trick" your ear into thinking there are positions other than right/left/center. That's what makes them virtual.

The G930 and Siberia V2 both use virtual surround. I honestly think it's a lame attempt at where we'll be with surround in the future, but it's ok.

The Razer Tiamat 7.1 is one of few out there that actually put 5 speakers in each side of the headset, over each ear, but in doing so, the speaker size is reduced which usually compromises the low end, but the sound positioning is not compromised whatsoever. The center and subs are duplicated in each earpiece so there are actually 10 speakers in these headsets.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826153089

The fact of the matter is unless you're using more than two speakers on each ear of a headset, you're getting a virtual setup which, in my opinion, is pretty lame.

SidTheSloth

Honorable
Dec 11, 2013
Well what is the best for virtual sound, since I dont have enough for the Razer one, also I was looking at reviews of the Tiamat, and I saw that you only get 7.1 sound with a sound card, is that true?