7.1 surround from laptop to reciever?

derek_is_a_goat

Prominent
Jan 6, 2018
I have a yamaha RX-A2070 reciever with 7.2.4 surround (1 center, 2front, 2 surround, 2 surround back / 2 sub / 4 ceiling)
Now I'm getting a gaming laptop but I want to be able to also hook my laptop up to my reciever and reap the benifts of the full 7.1 surround.

So my question is.... if i use HDMI for video/audio, what specs would i have to have on my laptop to accomplish this?
Would a typical hdmi work on any laptop?
Same with 4k... would laptop need 4k for a 4k tv through hdmi?

Solution
" I want to be able to also hook my laptop up to my reciever and reap the benifts of the full 7.1 surround.

So my question is.... if i use HDMI for video/audio, what specs would i have to have on my laptop to accomplish this?
Would a typical hdmi work on any laptop? "

If you're talking about 7.1 sound - yes 'typical hdmi' would allow this.

"Same with 4k... would laptop need 4k for a 4k tv through hdmi? "

It depends what you mean here. A 4k tv would work with typical hdmi but you could only send it 1080p - the tv might convert 1080p to 4k but it wouldn't look as good as if you sent it a 4k signal from the laptop. To do that, yes, that laptop would have to have 4k capability ... as would the hdmi cables.

robert600

Distinguished
" I want to be able to also hook my laptop up to my reciever and reap the benifts of the full 7.1 surround.

Would a typical hdmi work on any laptop? "

If you're talking about 7.1 sound - yes 'typical hdmi' would allow this.

"Same with 4k... would laptop need 4k for a 4k tv through hdmi? "

It depends what you mean here. A 4k tv would work with typical hdmi but you could only send it 1080p - the tv might convert 1080p to 4k but it wouldn't look as good as if you sent it a 4k signal from the laptop. To do that, yes, that laptop would have to have 4k capability ... as would the hdmi cables.

Solution