7.1 surround sound headphones is there a big difference?

WomboCombo713

Estimable
Oct 18, 2015
Is there a big difference between these and stereo headsets? Because it must be a simulated surround sound because there are only 2 speakers on a headset, so is there not much difference? The reason I ask is I was thinking about buying a new headset but found that you can take a pair of audiophile headphone and attach a mic yourself. This seems to be the way to go because of higher sound quality and would be better for music when not gaming. However the only thing I would miss out on is the 7.1 surround sound. So which would be better?

WomboCombo713

Estimable
Oct 18, 2015

After doing more research I found that audiophile stereo headphones are much better than the "7.1" devices. I could even go with a 598 which is what I was thinking about going with. Do you think there is anything better? I know these pretty much have the best sound stage in the 200 price range, but I heard they don't have the most bass. I'm no super bass head or anything, but explosions do sound cool, unless these are sufficient enough.

598's would definitely have better sounding bass than a kraken or cloud, though perhaps not as loud naturally (you can always use an equalizer for games)

If your price range is ~200 and want a headset rather than just headphone, the G4ME One and Zero from Sennheiser might be a good buy.

WomboCombo713

Estimable
Oct 18, 2015

I was going to buy a mic and attach it as that seems to be much better quality than headsets, and I will use it for music too.