7.1 Surround Using SPDIF Optical or HDMI

jdwclemson

Estimable
Sep 3, 2014
I am having trouble getting my PC to produce surround output - either 5.1 or 7.1. I'm using my home theater receiver, which can do 7.1 surround, but it is indicating that I am only getting DTS 3/2.1 signal.

I have two means of audio:

Nvidia 870 GTX - I attempted to connect my audio through the receiver, which would work fine, but unfortunately the Sony STR-DH740 7.2 model does not actually use HDMI 2.0 - despite their claim that it is a "4k" receiver. In that case, in order to get UHD resolution, I had to I connect to the TV and output the sound to the receiver through the ARC port. Unfortunately this is not giving surround sound, and when I called Nvidia they said that the only way to get audio to work is to have the video and audio go through the same port and directly to the receiver.

ASRock z97 Extreme 4 - This should be capable of 5.1/7.1 surround, but when I called their technical support line, I was amazed that they said that I would to buy PowerDVD to get surround sound to work using an optical cable. Otherwise I would need to use the standard audio jacks - which of course are not compatible with home theater receivers. This does not make sense, because PowerDVD has nothing to do with gaming, which is my primary use case. It does not sound right that they would sell a motherboard that does surround sound, but only when paying for third party software.

If anybody has had experience with this and found a solution for getting surround sound to their home theater receiver, I would appreciate knowing what has worked for you. After talking to both Nvidia and ASRock, it sounds like their technical support staff cannot assist, but I find it hard to believe that something so simple could not be possible with this system.

SelectedLamb

Estimable
Jan 19, 2015
i would only assume you would need power dvd for the codec. (DD) but i could be wrong, You could try to download VLC player, because i know that i use that for MY codex'sz good luck