7 Ways to Increase Your Wi-Fi Coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grims

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
Why is it Wireless N has better range? It would seem B would have the best range of the 3 due to its lower frequency.

Miharu

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
#3 Failed! 802.11g still have a better range than 802.11n.

In few case 802.11n have better range (It's better for past though some object like walls), but in term of range, n lose all the way.

I can give you example. I buy one of the best n router available the Linksys WRT610. They claim it's 4 times better than 802.11g in term of range.
I test it again my older router Linksys WRT54GX2 (the one have 2 times the 802.11g range)
The fact is my old WRT54GX2 have 2 times a better range than WRT610 with all the correct equipment.

Also, router with internal antenna like WRT610 wasn't good for long range. So if you really want a better range... find one with no internal antenna.

The great "plus" to use a 802.11n is the transfert rate.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
Not all routers are created equally. As Miharu noted, Wireless N doesn't always do better than - or even as well as - Wireless G. And both struggle with providing HD-quality video. Ethernet over Coax is one alternative that is supposed to work well, likely better than Ethernet over powerline. But none of these beat a straight CAT6 ethernet connection running at 1 Gbps.

As for drilling holes in closets.... I'm just glad that the author won't ever be trying to extend his wireless coverage in my home. If a basement is unfinished, it may not be difficult at all to fish a wire down a wall to there, and then back up another wall, allowing for wall plate installations at both ends. You can even put these next to phone jacks by replacing a simple single-jack plate with something like a 2-position keystone plate.

easyecoblog

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
Good article but the should also mention using focused antenna hacks like foiled lined cardboard behind your routers antennas to focus the signal. Cheap and easy hack.

ChromeTusk

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
Is anyone familiar with any security issues regarding option #2 (Win7 as repeater)? An improperly configured AP of any type can leave your network open for attacks.

Once inside the network, the attacker can either compromise the connected computers or launch an attack from that network.

theoldgrumpybear

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010
#1 Fail on "not costing a dime". Usually the router is in a corner because your cable or DSL line ends there. Pulling cable of any kind to a more central location is not free, and usually fairley laborious.

wribbs

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
As an early N adopter I can attest to it having similar range to G but one thing that doesn't get mentioned too much is that it's more usable at the edge because of the increased bandwidth (although packetloss can remain an issue). ie 18% 300Mbps = ~54Mbps, 18% 54Mbps = ~9Mbps

kgoosie

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
It would have been nice to include the other option of networking over coax. It would definitely be faster for someone who has satellite because there will not be any interference over the lines. I use D-Link's coax networking setup, and I have cable with no problems. I mainly use it for my PS3. It is faster than wireless by a long shot. Head over to http://www.mocalliance.org/industry/certified_products.php for a list of certified moca products.

caeden

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
Cant believe you missed the #1 cause of wireless issues: Wires! All cables that have power running through them give off electromagnetic signals that will interfere with your reception, especially if you are at the edge of your wireless range to begin with. This is especially true for desktops crammed in little cubby holes. Make sure there is ample space (6-12 inches) between the back of your tower and the wall or cabinet. Try to keep the rats nest of cables away from your antenna. Also, metal cabinets, drawers, etc are going to act as shields, so use wood furniture around wireless devices.
Also, putting your antennas parallel to each other (either vertical or horizontal) can create limited range or dead spots. Set your antennas aprox 90 degrees from each other for best performance. Lastly, don't put your wireless router in a little closet somewhere. Hide it on top of a bookshelf or something. I understand not wanting to look at the thing, but enclosing it will change performance.
Lastly, wireless devices affect each other. The more wireless devices you have the less performance you will get. All stationary devices (the network printer, TV, media PC, PS3, Wii, xbox, blue ray player, desktop PCs etc) should all be wired if possible. They will get better performance this way, and your wireless devices (laptops and network capable cell phones) will have free air to work with.

egeier

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2010
ChromeTusk, regarding the security of using Win 7 as repeater: It automatically enables WPA2 (AES) encryption for the wireless signal, so it doesn't open the network up.

danimal_the_animal

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2006
It's the CHANNELS!!!!!!!!!

Channels 1,6, and 11 are the only channels that don't overlap....you need to scan the area and find out what channels your neighbors are using.....then set the appropriate channel.....this is how i increased my range....if your neighbor has strong wireless and so do you but you are both on channel 1 then where the signals cross there is a complete dead spot.....switching to another channel like 6 or 11 will completely solve your problem....

channels can be VERY difficult if you live in apartments.....

mguilicutty

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
what a completely useless article. There are SO many ways to boost your signal that actually are free. Has the author ever actually used a wireless device? Suggesting to poor folks that they use powerline ethernet? Seriously, I'm a bit drunk so I'm not being complete but this article sucks balls.

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
I'd say the priority for the list should be:
1. Try to move the router (Free)
2. Create the virtual access point with Win 7 (Free)
3. Try changing the antenna (Cheaper than a router/ap/extender)
4. Install another router/access point (There are dirt-cheap routers/ap's)
5. Use Powerline units (They'd have more bandwidth than repeaters)
6. Use repeater (Only if powerline units are expensive/unavailable in your area)
7. Upgrade to wireless-N (This could mean a network overhaul for some people as sometimes with an N router and G client, you'd have the same range).

danimal_the_animal

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2006
[citation][nom]amnotanoobie[/nom]I'd say the priority for the list should be:1. Try to move the router (Free)2. Create the virtual access point with Win 7 (Free)3. Try changing the antenna (Cheaper than a router/ap/extender)4. Install another router/access point (There are dirt-cheap routers/ap's)5. Use Powerline units (They'd have more bandwidth than repeaters)6. Use repeater (Only if powerline units are expensive/unavailable in your area)7. Upgrade to wireless-N (This could mean a network overhaul for some people as sometimes with an N router and G client, you'd have the same range).[/citation]

You left out the CHANNELS!

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]danimal_the_animal[/nom]You left out the CHANNELS![/citation]
Really, you could have simply done this:-
[citation][nom]danimal_the_animal[/nom]Number 9 - The channels[/citation]
You already mentioned it once, I was mearly adding to the list, and as I have now numbered your suggestion, so now have you. Thanks guy. any other range and/or reception suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.