700 ''Hurt Locker'' IP-addresses Goes to Court

Status
Not open for further replies.

dxwarlock

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
since when does a movie ticket cost $2500?
I mean I know popcorn and drink prices are high, but geez.

and them using the "we are proving a point, for each one that we found there was 100 we didn't" to offset and justify the costs doesn't sit well with me.

I can have someone hit and run my car, and the next guy that scratches it charge him the total repair costs saying "you paying for your damages AND the guy that got away".

doesnt that just give the message to the other piraters that "we are making someone else pay for your mistake, you got off free"

gladiator_mohaa

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
That movie was awesome! What are you taking about? I still think the court should limit the fine to 100 bucks for pirating or something. Don't ruin people's lives, but make them understand that things are not free in life. If that don't work...maybe by the third strike or something a few days in jail or make them do janitorial work for the company they stole from or something. Only in a perfect world, lol!

flachet

Distinguished
May 27, 2010
One other thing that bothered me. Hurt Locker? You are going to use a line from Sly Stallone in Demolition Man as the title for your movie?

flachet

Distinguished
May 27, 2010
Any EOD tech yanking on a 105mm shell connected with detonator cord that is buried in sand should be hung for stupidity. It was too much BS to be anything close to good.

The plot sucked, the acting sucked and the fact that everything he did was about as opposite from proper ordinance disposal as you can get sucked. I'm pretty sure that any EOD tech I worked with that acted like that would be sectioned 8 immediately.

Granted with movies you have to have some leeway, it can't be full on realism, but geez, at least make is somewhat believable.

Regarding the Oscars, I don't equate an Oscar win or nomination with good.

carlosspicywiener

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
I will pay the fine if I get it when they can prove I was the one sitting at the computer downloading their property. I got roommates. An IP address will only tell them what house downloaded it. Do they have a list of mac addresses to go along with it, so they can at least say what device it came from? And to anyone who says "its your computer you should be responsible for it", I say this: If I loan my car to someone and they wreck it, should they say I'm responsible for that persons error? I don't want to hear about "oh it could have been mechanical failure" or something like that. I work on cars for a living. Try telling me my car has a mechanical issue with it.

Why would anybody take this series of lawsuits serious? If i get one of these, I will wipe my ass with it and post the video on youtube.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
[citation][nom]gladiator_mohaa[/nom]I still think the court should limit the fine to 100 bucks for pirating or something. Don't ruin people's lives, but make them understand that things are not free in life. If that don't work...maybe by the third strike or something a few days in jail or make them do janitorial work for the company they stole from or something. Only in a perfect world, lol![/citation]

I agree, I think the punishment should be no different then if a person was cought stealing the dvd from a store... same punishment.

I also think for each instance you should be charged. for example i have over 1000 movies, i bought roughly zero. i honestly believe im guilty 1000 times of theft under. EXCEPT I LIVE IN CANADA and its fuckin legal, sorta, kinda... possibly not.

v1ze

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
[citation][nom]carlosspicywiener[/nom]An IP address will only tell them what house downloaded it.[/citation]
Considering IP spoofing, it won't even do that will it?

v1ze

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
They'll probably claim the person who has the ISP in their name is responsible for the data traffic. That's my only guess.

dxwarlock

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
also one other thing I never understood..its a torrent it could be ANYTHING.
someone could upload a home movie, name the files and torrent to a movies title just to mess with people.
so does this mean that someone there connected to the torrent, downloaded it to to verify it was in fact the movie they was assuming it was?
and in turn wouldn't they have to sue themselves also?

aylafan

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
The Hurt Locker overall wasn't that great of a movie. I don't even know how it won Oscar awards. I believe the company is abusing its power (since it won the Oscar award) to gain a large sum of money by suing 700 people for $2,500 each ($1,750,000). Why couldn't they do this when the movie was still in theaters and not after? That doesn't make any sense whatsoever. They will need more than IP addresses on a printed document as evidence to get anywhere with this case. I hope this backfires on the company and they lose money for being greedy.

carlosspicywiener

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
[citation][nom]v1ze[/nom]Considering IP spoofing, it won't even do that will it?[/citation]

Actually that a good point that I forgot about. Unless they verified every IP address, their really is no way to legally say that this IP address belongs to this place.

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
hmm Ok i see a bunch of IP addresses, which then needs to be tracked back to their respective companies, then send out a written letter, if non-comply, be brought to court. Now i'm not sure on how pirating laws are enforced.

i knew somebody who purchased a card scanner for the ability to "hack" satellite receivers and unlock premium ppv channels and when the canadian store was raided, they took the customer receipts and proceeded to pursue the people who bought the hacking device and prosecuted them as well for "pirating" or whatever the legal term was. He had to shill out $$$ in lawyer fees and fines.

Status
Not open for further replies.