Solved! $700 school / light gaming laptop

offroadyota

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
1. What is your budget?
$700ish

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
15"

3. What screen resolution do you want?
the higher the better

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
I have a decent desktop so more portable

5. How much battery life do you need?
at least 3 hours, more is better

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
some starcraft 2 or other games maybe, at least medium settings

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
schoolwork, web browsing watching movies & light gaming

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
doesn't matter too much, probably at least 150gb

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
i normally use newegg for tech stuff but any reputable place is fine

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
a long time, reliability is very important

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
DVD ROM/writer preferred but bluray would be nice

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
no specific preference as long as its a reliable brand

13. What country do you live in?
USA

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
looking to buy for school in the winter, so the purchase will be somewhere between now and January, not sure if anything new and better is expected to come out between now and then

Solution
Hello offroadyota;

In your budget range and your gaming goal you'll be limited to 1366x768 LCD screen resolutions.

Right now something like the Lenovo IdeaPad Y470 14-inch "Sandy Bridge" Laptop Core i3 $649 or Core i5 $699 is something you'll want to keep an eye on.

The Core i5 CPU and GeForce GT 550M GPU are going to put you in the ballpark of what you want for gaming performance.

There is also a Ideapad Y570 15" model with GT 555M for about the same price.

Stop by a week or so before it's time to whip out the credit card to check on prices and other options that are good values of the moment.

Hello offroadyota;

In your budget range and your gaming goal you'll be limited to 1366x768 LCD screen resolutions.

Right now something like the Lenovo IdeaPad Y470 14-inch "Sandy Bridge" Laptop Core i3 $649 or Core i5 $699 is something you'll want to keep an eye on.

The Core i5 CPU and GeForce GT 550M GPU are going to put you in the ballpark of what you want for gaming performance.

There is also a Ideapad Y570 15" model with GT 555M for about the same price.

Stop by a week or so before it's time to whip out the credit card to check on prices and other options that are good values of the moment.

Solution