8 ohm receiver plus 6 ohm speaker

Fuzziekiwi

Honorable
Aug 28, 2013
Hey, I have a Pioneer reciever vsx-d608 and was looking at Elac B6 speakers, but I was wondering if this would be bad because my receiver (i think) is 8ohms while the speakers are 6ohms? Could I damage the amp or speakers?

Solution
The Elac B6 aren't designed to be a difficult load. They don't go below 6ohms so it should be OK.
There is no danger in damaging the speakers but it might damage the receiver.
In most cases the receiver will go into protection rather than blow up.

ko888

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
The Pioneer VSX-D608 Owner's Manual says:
• Use speakers with a nominal impedance of 6Ω to 16Ω.

ELAC Debut B6
• Nominal impedance: 6Ω; minimum 6Ω

There's no problem.

Doctor Rob

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
Here is your answer.. http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-2879066/ohm-speakers-ohm-stereo.html

It should be fine. I have used 8ohm receivers with 4 or 6 ohm speakers in the past (Bose speakers).. the only real thing is the volume will be different if you used to use 8 Ohm speakers and now have 6 ohm it uses a little more power then the 8 ohm. you should be just fine though as long as you don't push the receiver to like 100% volume. IN reality you probably will NOT notice any difference.

other side note about the 100% volume IF you push the receiver so its super loud you do have a chance to overload the receiver.. so it is better to always match the specs if you can but you darn should be just fine and dandy (if you don't try and push it to ear splitting volumes.