85,000 Mercedes Recalled Over Steering Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]reprotected[/nom]Don't people test this stuff before releasing it to the public? Either they don't test it or they have bad drivers as test dummies.[/citation]
The issue seems to be leakage. On their prototypes much of the stuff's made by hand, so the seals might've not been a problem on those while they might be on the mass produced versions.

It's not too bad though. Citroën have had much worse production faults like water in the brake fluid or engine bays that set themselves on fire.

alyoshka

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Well, here's another very bad example of what happens thanks to open markets. The quality control goes to dogs.....
And of course, Apple does add a little fuel to the fire lol..... although I don't think they had anything to do with the steering column...
They really ought to have a Blacklist of manufacturers to let the world know that these companies are not trustworthy when it comes to parts of equipment, really, the banks have a list of fraudsters and defaulters , why don't they have something like that for all the industries..... I bet the chaps Mercedes bought the spare parts from will still continue to mess up things for the other lot that might come out..... tragic, but it's a fact.

fyasko

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
a car can easily be driven without power steering. it isn't a danger except that most people can't drive without automatic everything.

vectorm12

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
Actually I think it could potentially be very dangerous as I'm completely certain my girlfriend wouldn't have the upperbody strength to turn the steeringwheel on a heavy MB without powersteering. In fact I think that goes for most women not to mention men who haven't driven non-powersteering in years if ever.

Having the powersteering go out even at low speeds during a sharp turn would even disconcern me.

Good to see the Daimler isn't trying to cover up the issue or blame the drivers/whatever they can think of.

THEfog101

Distinguished
May 12, 2010
[citation][nom]fyasko[/nom]a car can easily be driven without power steering. it isn't a danger except that most people can't drive without automatic everything.[/citation]

Yes but it isn't healthy for a power steering car to be driven without the power steering fluid, ever heard of friction before?

G

give me a break. no power steering whoaa danger. Put some muscle into it while parking and get it fixed.

r3t4rd

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
A lot of cars had no powersteering in the early and mid 80's. And I drove some of them.

Mercedez quality is not the same anymore like the 90's and older. Lexus and Acura all the way.

fonboy3d

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
A car is just as safe without power steering. When I used to do autocrossing and drifting competitions, we would disconnect power steering to give us better steering feel and prediction.

wotan31

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
[citation][nom]r3t4rd[/nom]A lot of cars had no powersteering in the early and mid 80's. And I drove some of them. Mercedez quality is not the same anymore like the 90's and older. Lexus and Acura all the way.[/citation]
Um, what? You do know that Lexus and Acura are just Toyota and Honda. You know, the two companies that have been recalling cars by the millions the past few years for critical safety defects...

atmos929

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]wotan31[/nom]Um, what? You do know that Lexus and Acura are just Toyota and Honda. You know, the two companies that have been recalling cars by the millions the past few years for critical safety defects...[/citation]

This recalling thing has been present like... always. They just made a great great deal out of Toyota to stop it from being the #1 seller in the middle of a car industry crisis to backup american sells.
I am not saying Toyota and Honda are better brands (and I don't want to start a discussion about it), just that nowadays this fixes are becoming known to the public through this recalls. 5 Years a go you would take your car to service and they would take that chance to reflash your Internal Body Control Module due to a possible flaw, and you would not even know it.

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
i've had a power steering hose break on me in -35ºf weather. didn't even bother to try and fix it until the temps got up to 30ºf so basically i drove around with no power steering for 2 months, as long as the vehicle is moving even a tiny bit, it's not that hard, unless your weak. this is one of those things where if it's not broke don't fix it unless you have to be a body builder to operate it with out power steering. seems like recalls just started happening to get free press now, either that or jane wants a huge discount on a mercedes ;) heh heh

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
mercedes is always having issues with their cars but at least they are getting to the bottom of it for the past couple of years. and the body styles look tremendously better than bmw.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
[citation][nom]r3t4rd[/nom]A lot of cars had no powersteering in the early and mid 80's. And I drove some of them. Mercedez quality is not the same anymore like the 90's and older. Lexus and Acura all the way.[/citation]

Mercedes has come a long way as of recent. Acura is somewhat questionable and Lexus should be fine.

You're right about power steering even up into the late 80s maybe even in the early 90s. Some cars were small enough in the front that they didn't need power steering so they didn't come with it. And if you lose power when you have power steering, it is nearly impossible to steer the car. One of my cars is small with no power steering and it is easy to steer.

NightLight

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2004
[citation][nom]fyasko[/nom]a car can easily be driven without power steering. it isn't a danger except that most people can't drive without automatic everything.[/citation]

I have to agree with you on that topic.
I have a classic mustang wo power steering and once you get going it steers just fine, it's just harder when parking.

Maybe they were holding the steering wheel wrong? :p

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]reprotected[/nom]Don't people test this stuff before releasing it to the public?[/citation]
Testing? Who'd-a thought? CEO material here...

rohitbaran

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
Well sir, if somebody paid for that feature, he is supposed to enjoy it no matter he can actually do without it or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS