9 New Keyboards

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

You want noise try an IBM model M!

I wouldn't be with out mine though, a pleasure to type on!

G

nice round up. wouldn't mind seeing a similar article on the latest gaming and enthusiast keyboards too.

theangrygimp

Distinguished
May 10, 2009
I've got a Logitech MX5000 bluetooth Keyboard/mouse and I'd give it a 4 star rating if I was going by similar patterns as this review. It handles great, but keys are not as quite as I'd like. It also has a nice touch area with volume and zoom sliders just below media center keys and an LCD display that can display date/time/media playing/temp/and other info that will also work with Winamp. The mouse included is just called the MXLaser and is quite comfortable for me with reprogrammable 6 buttons. Lastly, the bluetooth adapter that it comes with can be used with other bluetooth devices. The biggest issue I have had is that during games sometimes the keyboard will disconnect and reconnect (taking about 3-5 seconds). Weather this is for security or a bluetooth issue, it definitely is not fun in a high paced online match as the last key I pressed continues to be pressed until it reconnects.

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
I like niosy keyboards ! They feel great, and they give me the impression that internal parts are made from metal not from cheap plastic which can break under the insane pressure the kids apply when gaming!
But that's just me.
Nice article.

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
I like my logi mx5000 set for my big theater. I've got some crappy wireless belkin keyboards with mouse "pad" built in for my other two theaters.

For my personal PC though? I won't get away from my Microsoft Natural Keyboard Elite. It's the only keyboard I've tried, and I've tried a bunch, that doesn't make my carpel tunnel act up in the least bit. It's big and ugly but the typing is firm without too much noise and it's just comfortable.

The arrow key layout kinda sucks not being a T though.

FUtomNOreg

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2008
Number of suggestions:
1)Price!
2)Switch type (rubber dome, buckling spring, capacitance)
3)Rollover limit (how many simultaneous keystrokes supported)
4)Keytop characteristics (glare, texture, molded or painted/decal lettering)
Btw, I too am partial to clicky keyboards and consider it a virtue.

alexie

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
I just upgraded my old microsoft wireless keyboard and mouse set with new microsoft laser 6000 keyboard and laser 5000 mouse. key sounds is acceptable and mouse is really comfortable (except the browser keys on left and right of it).
I think you should take a look at that if you're looking for a wireless keyboard and mouse, even it's not tested on this article.

virochana

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
I have both a DiNivo and a Micorsoft Wireless 6000.3

I really loved my DiNivo, but 1 of the keys (the tab key) broke off within a few days - which i remapped to another key). then 4 months later 3 other keys stopped working. Logitech is sending another one, however as was traveling there was a gap.
In the interim, i bought a microsoft 6000, and having owned about a half dozen of the higher end microsoft keyboards, i would say this is the best of them. It has a very slight angle in the keys layout, an the keystroke is smaller than other micorosft keyboards which allows for faster and quiter typing. The microsoft has a suppier arrangement of additional feature keys than logitech, except for the really cool volumn slider.

They are both good keyboards, although i would give the nod to logitech in terms of better keys, and the nod to microsoft in terms of better supplimental keys. As i type 10+ hours a day ( a prgrammer), a good keyboard is important and makes a sagnificant performance boost (the best performance boost you can do, assuming a decent box, is a good quality 24inch screen, a nice keyboard, and a logitech mx revolution mouse.

virochana

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
Forgot to mention, a nice feature of the microsoft keyboard is removable batteries, so if they run out at a critical moment, just drop in another pair. The batteries last for a long time -even longer than the advertised rate (typically about 3 to 4 months for me, so an average user would get at least 6 months), however i assume that it the transmitter is farterh from the keyboard this will shorten battery life.

Gryphyn

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
Have the logitech illuminated keyboard, and love it. Wanted one for gaming/working in the dark, but didn't want it to look like something out of a 1980s sci-fi movie like all the "gaming" keyboards. Also didn't need all the macro buttons and crap taking up space. It is compact, and works wonderfully.

waffle911

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
These are all French layout keyboards! Not that it matters, but it was still less obvious as to why certain keys were switched around and whether all of the keyboards mentioned in the comparo were even available in the U.S (I believe they are, tough).

JohnMD1022

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
I question the general need for a numeric keypad. How many people actually use the damned thing? Outside of the office environment, almost none.

I have settled on an IBM Space Saver Model M.

Supertrek32

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
@John:
I use the numeric keypad all the time. I hate reaching up to hit the numbers, actually.

I'm still waiting for a company to finally release a true ergo-gaming keyboard....

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Gaming keyboards for me, so the Sidewinder6 is the only thing of interst here. Some great ideas, but the fact is that many games, particularly MMOs where you would use macros and extra buttons the most, allow you to assign macros to any keystroke; that means the ability to do macros in the keyboard is less important (but far from unimportant!). What I want are more keys, bottom line.

Logitech just went through that process; they decided to make their G15 with 6 extra keys and replace the 18-key one, because people complained about the extra width of the board. An avalanche of complaints about the reduction in keys meant they are keeping the 18-keyboard though; while some have limited keyboard space, most of us MMO types who use gaming keyboards want the extra keys.

So, great effort Microsoft, but won't replace the Logitech G15 for my next keyboard. If you put more extra keys on though, make that part of the detachable unit rather than the number pad, now there you'd be talking something I'd be interested in!

G

gahhh .... you lie ... it's RF 2.4ghz not bluetooth - which is highly annoying as I just ordered 2 on the strength of them being bluetooth ... unless the logistech site is lying which I doubt, but hope :)

MikeO89

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006
If you want a real illuminated keyboard, the Deck Backlit keyboard is it. Costs more than the ones in the review but it makes them all look vastly inferior in comparison. If you spend a lot of time on the computer, might as well have the best keyboard experience to go along with it. I have two and wouldn't use anything else for my personal computers. No extra "frills" keys, standard size keyboard that's friendly on the eyes (no squinting to see the lighted keys clearly) and hands to use. No software needed, comes in different LED colors (keyboard is black) and in either USB or PS/2. This keyboard is not a cheap mainstream keyboard like all the ones chosen for the review. If you're not cheap and mainstream and want the best, get the Deck.

Status
Not open for further replies.