9 New Uses For Your Old iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
Apple products have a perfect logo a Apple with a bite taken out of it. What do you do when you no longer want/need a apple that you took a bite of? Do you give it away? NO! Do you find some other purpose for it? NO! You throw it in the trash. And that is what Apple wants you to do. Buy the new and discard the old because the old is uncool and you want to be cool right?

This is a paid advertisement from the Church of Steve Jobs and the Macintosh Saints.

P.S. Expect your new hardware to be outdated in 6 months. Remember only those who stay true to Jobs and buy all the new products to be saved from eternal torment from the devil Bill Gates and his place of eternal anguish Microsoft.

Praise Jobs! Macllelujah!

dredg98

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
[citation][nom]NuclearShadow[/nom]Apple products have a perfect logo a Apple with a bite taken out of it. What do you do when you no longer want/need a apple that you took a bite of? Do you give it away? NO! Do you find some other purpose for it? NO! You throw it in the trash. And that is what Apple wants you to do. Buy the new and discard the old because the old is uncool and you want to be cool right? This is a paid advertisement from the Church of Steve Jobs and the Macintosh Saints.P.S. Expect your new hardware to be outdated in 6 months. Remember only those who stay true to Jobs and buy all the new products to be saved from eternal torment from the devil Bill Gates and his place of eternal anguish Microsoft.Praise Jobs! Macllelujah![/citation]

Everything gets outdated in 6 months!

brianmoz

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]dredg98[/nom]Everything gets outdated in 6 months![/citation]
i dont get it. are you talking about technology in general or apple...my wife has 3g and is happy with it...that came out 2 years ago. Its not good to be a fanboy or a hater. the more you guys make these indignant claims as if your victims of apple or something the more you sound pathetic. Its a company that makes products. People buy them that want them and people who dont want them dont buy them. some people get angry about them for ...why?

JimmiG

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
[citation][nom]abhifx[/nom]or it can be given to someone like me who cant afford a smart phone. believe me its a good idea[/citation]

Same here. Still using a Samsung clamshell phone I bought for about $90 in 2006. It still works great, but I'm buying a smart phone finally this summer. I will keep the Samsung as a secondary phone for when I don't want to bring the bigger and more expensive smart phone (ie pubs etc.).

dredg98

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
[citation][nom]brianmoz[/nom]i dont get it. are you talking about technology in general or apple...my wife has 3g and is happy with it...that came out 2 years ago. Its not good to be a fanboy or a hater. the more you guys make these indignant claims as if your victims of apple or something the more you sound pathetic. Its a company that makes products. People buy them that want them and people who dont want them dont buy them. some people get angry about them for ...why?[/citation]

Technology in general once you buy something its pretty much outdated

G

OK.. so basically an old iPhone can be hacked and improved or used like a flash drive. Since the replacement phone will presumably be better than a jailbroken iPhone with a skype app; and since flash drives are smaller and more reliable than anything Apple makes I think my conclusion is: I'd rather smash it with a hammer.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
[citation][nom]hammatime[/nom]OK.. so basically an old iPhone can be hacked and improved or used like a flash drive. Since the replacement phone will presumably be better than a jailbroken iPhone with a skype app; and since flash drives are smaller and more reliable than anything Apple makes I think my conclusion is: I'd rather smash it with a hammer.[/citation]

Now your thinking the Apple way! Why do you think the all mighty Jobs does not want you to upgrade a Mac? The very thought of upgrading is silly you simply smash the old Mac and buy a new!

Jobs iBless you, Jobs ibless us all! iAmen

compprob237

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]JimmiG[/nom]Same here. Still using a Samsung clamshell phone I bought for about $90 in 2006. It still works great, but I'm buying a smart phone finally this summer. I will keep the Samsung as a secondary phone for when I don't want to bring the bigger and more expensive smart phone (ie pubs etc.).[/citation]

>_> I'm still using a Motorola SLVR L7e. Although, my Zune HD replaced everything a "Smartphone" would do without the bulk. On the plus side I like the fact I can drop my SLVR from my 2nd story balcony (everybody drops their phone at least once) and know that it will still work and not be broken nor expensive to fix/replace.

awood28211

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2007
WTF. This should have been titled OLD uses for your OLD phone... There's nothing new about any of this...

...and... "The iPhone, with its capacitive touch screen, makes for a perfect universal remote. It doesn’t need replacement batteries, it’s powerful enough to control any number of devices, and everyone knows how to use it."

WRONG! I for one have never even stuck one single finger to the screen of an iPhone. therefore not "EVERYONE knows how to use it."

G

Nice write up with some good suggestions. I never even thought about keeping my 3g as a back-up, but it makes sense. Or to have it as my "new" iPod instead - that works out well.

quantumrand

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
It's all fine and dandy until it tells you that you need to activate it again. Without a valid SIM card, iTunes won't let you activate the iPhone, and you won't be able to use it for anything.

compprob237

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
#4 is about the only one i'd find a use for keeping it. Otherwise, i'd sell it or give it to the needy (if i so had one but since SOME people can't afford these...)

side note: Lovin the ads /sarcasm

G

A remote is a great use of an old iPhone when you get a 4G. The Re by www.newkinetix.com has features that make a Harmony One user envious. It's great to have a remote that works everywhere in my house, and I can get the show I want at the bar...carefully!

G

I use a blackberry 8703g.Totally outdated, but i was able to upgrade
the software to 4.5.I use it for E-mail both out and in.calls,text,
and in a rare occasion web surfing.I love the scroll wheel,they wear
out twice a year,but I have replacement ins. so I get a new one free.I have a unlimited data plan from sprint and my contract is up
so I can go month to month until a truly great phone comes out.
christoph

hiros777

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
I use my old iPod and iPhone as nice desktop Photo-Frames. My wife does the same with her old iPod. I am getting my new iPhone 4G today but I will keep my two-year-old 3G iPhone as backup unit.

G

You're against iUpdates, then you agree with Henry Ford, the Soviets and the old Western Electric-- we'll only sell you one model, it will last forever, never be updated, and will be black. All you have to do is say goodby to the technology revolution we've been immersed in for the past generation and everything it provides. Quadraphonic sound, anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.