A 34-Year Trek Ends: NASA Parks the Shuttle

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
Shuttle program should have been killed in 1993, after the fall of the Soviet Union... It was more a means of bankrupting the USSR than to actually explore science or even compete with them. But it was a cool program... And we did learn a lot, not just about physics, but also about human psychology (Challenger/Columbia)...

Assmar

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
[citation][nom]koga73[/nom]Yeah and now NASA has a new mission:http://washingtonexaminer.com/blog [...] slim-world[/citation]
Seems like the same mission but (aside from the inspire/educate children part which is sort of intrinsic in space exploration, no?) with a different focus on how to accomplish our predefined goals. Since we are cutting so much from the funding of our space program, we need to get other nations to help us foot the bill. Seems reasonable enough to me.

Kryan

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
so if "Russia and possibly other European and Japanese crafts – perhaps even ships from the commercial sector" DON'T make it to the ISS...what happens to those onboard the ISS, seeing as the Shuttles were the only means to get ppl up there...and down.
? I'd be feeling pretty...nervous? :p

NapoleonDK

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]Kryan[/nom]so if "Russia and possibly other European and Japanese crafts – perhaps even ships from the commercial sector" DON'T make it to the ISS...what happens to those onboard the ISS, seeing as the Shuttles were the only means to get ppl up there...and down.? I'd be feeling pretty...nervous?[/citation]Well you have to remember that the Russian Soyuz craft have been making trips up to the ISS for many years, and that they'll continue to take supplies and personnel back and forth...personnel of course at the low price of $63 million a seat. ;) But yes, I thought the same thing with a chuckle to myself. Boy wouldn't that suck to get stranded up there. Sounds like a great horror movie. XD

K-zon

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Makes you wonder if they are really cancelling the Shuttle program for the fact of it. Mean, on the idea that you can send more people up on the newer shuttle with less hardware to carry, probably would say something of more an interest to the space program. But still of it though the programs involved in trying to get any decent information though.

10tacle

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]Shuttle program should have been killed in 1993, after the fall of the Soviet Union... It was more a means of bankrupting the USSR than to actually explore science or even compete with them..[/citation]

That is the most ignoranus, idiotic, ill-informed comment I've read here in some time. First of all genius, we used the US military to give the USSR the beat down with our superior weaponry.

Second, the US had a vision after the Apollo program (which again had NOTHING to do with bankrupting the USSR) to create a spacecraft capable of carrying large loads in orbit and returning like an airplane.

Third, the amount of research and knowledge in science we learned over these past 34 years with the shuttle program is priceless.

Fourth, with regards to cost, the shuttle program cost right at about $209 billion from start to finish today (in 2010 dollars). We blew nearly a TRILLION two and a half years ago on a "stimulus" bill that didn't do JACK for the US economy and jobs (that Democrats promised would prevent unemployment from going above 8%).

Any more questions?

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
NASA needs to build either a Star Trek Voyager or put wings and rockets on a motorhome that can run at Ludicrous speed so it can continue its space program.

reggieray

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
NASA can now get on with their new more important mission given to them by the supreme ruler Obama, Muslim Outreach. Yup, the Kenyan said so, not a lie, truth. read it for yourself, I am just the massager of truth that some don't like to hear.
www.washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/beltway-confidential/obama-s-new-mission-nasa-reach-out-muslim-world

jgutz2006

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
[citation][nom]Kryan[/nom]so if "Russia and possibly other European and Japanese crafts – perhaps even ships from the commercial sector" DON'T make it to the ISS...what happens to those onboard the ISS, seeing as the Shuttles were the only means to get ppl up there...and down.? I'd be feeling pretty...nervous?[/citation]

The Russians have been making regular trips to the ISS so those up there are not at risk to being lost in space. US astronauts will be paying millions per mission to ride along on piloted soyuz missions to keep america in space.

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
Gotta love how a emotion-invoking piece like this brings out the closed-minded morons.

It's really amazing how swayed some people are from reality by reading biased rags like the The Washing Examiner.

Long live the space program! It may prove to be one of the most important ventures in human preservation.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]10tacle[/nom]That is the most ignoranus, idiotic, ill-informed comment I've read here in some time. First of all genius, we used the US military to give the USSR the beat down with our superior weaponry. Second, the US had a vision after the Apollo program (which again had NOTHING to do with bankrupting the USSR) to create a spacecraft capable of carrying large loads in orbit and returning like an airplane. Third, the amount of research and knowledge in science we learned over these past 34 years with the shuttle program is priceless.Fourth, with regards to cost, the shuttle program cost right at about $209 billion from start to finish today (in 2010 dollars). We blew nearly a TRILLION two and a half years ago on a "stimulus" bill that didn't do JACK for the US economy and jobs (that Democrats promised would prevent unemployment from going above 8%). Any more questions?[/citation]
The Shuttle did not actually meet it's mission requirements. It was never a truly reusable space craft. There were far more efficient ways of getting a payload into space, including rocket technology used in the Apollo and Mercury spacecraft.
The shuttle, unlike the Saturn 5, was never a classified project. The Soviet Union freely copied the shuttle (see the Buran). Star Wars, along with the shuttle program amounted to large, over funded, but ultimately unattainable programs initiated in the US that our economy could afford, while the Soviet Union trying to play catchup, could no. It was 1 major contributor, along with our nuclear arms race, to the bankrupting of the Soviet Union and it's eventual collapse. It is not the only factor. It is not the main factor. But it was a big factor.
We never directly, openly, had any conflict with the USSR. It was a cold war. But when we finally challenged our assumptions about how well the USSR's economy was actually doing, by forcing their hand to overspend with many of these Carter/Regan era projects, it was like calling their bluff on the success of Stalinism.

I feel that the space program could have been better served focusing on the space stations like MIR and the ISS, with less expensive transport systems, as well as newer space telescopes. The Shuttle Program became a big waste of very limited resources. One that was intended to inspire the population with huge dramatic fireballs during liftoff... All that knowledge could have been learned with less expensive rockets, pods, and stations.

You have to look at the big picture to see how everything fit together. It isn't some grand conspiracy. Just 1 aspect of history that was a part of a large way of flexing our economic muscle that contributed to the end of the USSR.

I didn't say space travel was stupid. Nor the study of science in space. Just the way we went about it...

ProDigit10

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
Bwah!
Space has not been found suited for life anyways, much as man is not made for living under water, so he's not made to live in space!

Not that our generation will colonize any planet, and I doubt any following offspring will; at least not in the coming 5 generations!

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
You can make artificial gravity with a centrifuge. You need some way to guard against space micrometeors and cosmic rays, but beyond that we actually can live there.

Status
Not open for further replies.