A Bill to Ban Headphones While Crossing Street

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedemon

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
Right because walking across a street while texting is very dangerous... you could walk into a car that has its brakes applied.
How bout making it illegal to use a cellphone while walking in a mall.. you know because of all those fountains.. might just walk into one...

LuckyDucky7

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
"We’re taught from knee-high to look in both directions, wait, listen and then cross. You can perform none of those functions if you are engaged in some kind of wired activity."

Yes you can, actually- it's called "listening with one earbud out". You can look in both directions, listen, and cross. Even if you can't listen, you probably aren't going to get run over- you just have to be alert and at least mostly aware of how many cars are coming down the street at you.

If this bill only applied to texting, I can see it passing. I don't want to pay for your broken arm because you walked into a lamp post or cushions for telephone poles- case in point: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=807vebt-mmQ

But if this bill in its current form were to succeed, what's next? A prohibition of carrying on a conversation with the person next to you? A fine for humming your favorite tune while walking down the street?

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Damn nanny state. The Marxist Kenyan Muslim wants to take away my right to walk into a 5 ton truck. I want my country back! And low taxes... and guns in church...

ben850

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
[citation][nom]speedemon[/nom]Right because walking across a street while texting is very dangerous... you could walk into a car that has its brakes applied.How bout making it illegal to use a cellphone while walking in a mall.. you know because of all those fountains.. might just walk into one......[/citation]

Retarded statement.

Pedestrians are unpredictable, and so are motorists. Pedestrians need the exact same rules as people driving vehicles IMO. Just because the little picture changes to the guy "walking" does not mean you should cross the street. People run red lights and stop signs all the time.

flugelhorn

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2009
Actually, according to the Insurance industry, despite the increasing texting issues, there has been NO increase in the number of accidents/fatalities. I think its ignorant to text while behind the wheel, but its simply one more distraction amongst a sea of distractions. If it isn't texting, then it's something else.

The government has no business legislating headphones.

mrnasty000

Distinguished
May 3, 2009
If you are stupid enough (mostly young people) to have something that retards your ability to identify noise, covering your ears, you deserve whatever happens to you. My father would have put foot up my butt 30 years ago, had he seen or heard that I was doing such a stupid thing.

speedemon

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
[citation][nom]ben850[/nom]Retarded statement. Pedestrians are unpredictable, and so are motorists. Pedestrians need the exact same rules as people driving vehicles IMO. Just because the little picture changes to the guy "walking" does not mean you should cross the street. People run red lights and stop signs all the time.[/citation]

This is true, so lets ban headphones/ipods while crossing the street? durr more control please

mrnasty000

Distinguished
May 3, 2009
If you are stupid enough (mostly young people) to have something that retards your ability to identify noise, covering your ears, you deserve whatever happens to you. My father would have put foot up my butt 30 years ago, had he seen or heard that I was doing such a stupid thing.

dirgle

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
[citation][nom]ben850[/nom]Retarded statement. Pedestrians are unpredictable, and so are motorists. Pedestrians need the exact same rules as people driving vehicles IMO. Just because the little picture changes to the guy "walking" does not mean you should cross the street. People run red lights and stop signs all the time.[/citation]

Yes! This is a great idea, And while we're at it why don't continue to create and enforce draconian laws that control every aspect of individual lives. Because every individual is inherently dangerous, and must be controlled and governed to bring order and peace to an otherwise chaotic world.

Resistance is futile.

G

"the only person we are putting directly at risk is ourselves"

That is a load of rubbish. Although it is highly likely you will come out worse off than anyone else, walking out in front of traffic can cause operators of those vehicles to lose control and trigger further accidents. The opinion that you are only endangering yourself is naive at best, and the comparison with racing and boxing is pointless - both are environments where people expect accidents or injury to occur, so forcing accidents onto other people is not as much of a problem. I don't expect people to drag me into accidents while driving because they are happy with themselves they think only they are going to be affected.

That said, I don't agree with the idea of the bill - completely unenforceable.

Status
Not open for further replies.