A decent gaming laptop

evilrex

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
Hi guys, right now I have a kind of dectain desktop:

GPU: ATI Radeon 4890
CPU: AMD Phemnom 965
RAM: 2 GB

Pretty soon I may have to be moving around a lot, and would prefer a laptop, HOWEVER I've had 2 before, and both of them had the EXACT same issue, which was after a few months of owning them, and playing games, I got an issue with the GPU where lines appeared all over the screen (even on the post check, before any software loaded).

I found out at first it was an over heating issue (on an Evesham machine with a dual core centrino processor, 4 gigs of ram and 8600GS graphics card) I then moved onto a Dell machine, it was an Dell XPS M1710. I ensured that I never left my XPS on surfaces where it'll over heat, such as a bed, sofa, or lap. However, same issue occurs.

So now I decided before I go down that road again, and sell my beloved desktop for a gaming laptop, I need some advice as to what gaming laptops are decent, and whether or not it's worth it at all. (maybe notebooks just aren't good for gaming)

My budget would be whatever I sell my Desktop for which would be around £350... I guess.

Thanks

BeefBravo

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
If my math is right £500 would be about $800 or so. I would recommend looking at an Asus G72 if DX11 isn't needed. Newegg has the Asus G72 for $730 last time I checked. I have one and haven't had an issue with it. It's going on a year old now and I game with it for hours at a time with no overheating issues (I always use a laptop cooler though).

evilrex

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
Thanks for the response, I cannot find it anywhere online, there's no newegg for the UK either. I've searched Google (web and shopping), Amazon and other computer sites. It's not even on the Asus website. Only place I could buy it is on eBay, but I'm not liking the sounds of just a 30 day warranty.