A Good Jampacked Application

Virtualmonger

Estimable
May 7, 2014
I am looking for many applications that I will be running about once a month to keep my PC nice.
1. Anti-malware, Anti-virus, Anti-adware, Anti-spyware
2. PC Optimizing, Boot Application Manager, etc.
3. Defrag
4. Disk junk cleaner

(And other applications that might keep my PC healthy)
I tried searching in google, but most that I saw were not good...
Oh and please recommend only the safe, legit, free and effective software applications

Solution

If you can't immediately find a suitable commercial or FOSS product to suit your needs, then you should get some second opinions on anything else that you may be considering...

Pinhedd

Distinguished

1. The best way to keep your PC clean and healthy is to be a smart user. 100% of all modern malware/viruses/adware/spyware comes packaged with other software. Don't install software from untrustworthy sources, don't install software that makes bogus claims or seems too good to be true, and don't install cracks for illicitly obtained software. Do this and you won't have to worry about infections. The last Windows infection that I got was from due to a vulnerability in a Windows image decoding library about 9 years ago.

2. You can manage startup programs through MSconfig. That's about all that you need to do. Any other "optimizer" falls under #1. Microsoft is a smart company, they know how to fine tune their products better than anyone.

3. Windows automatically defragments hard disk drives periodically when the PC is idle. There's no need to schedule it manually anymore.

4. The problem with "disk junk" is that there's no deterministic way to determine what is junk and what is not. The built-in disk cleanup utility will delete stuff that Windows knows is disposable (such as temporary files and error logs), but cleaning up user data is your responsibility. You don't want a program erasing your documents, trust me on that. Keep a good organizational schema and you'll be fine.

Virtualmonger

Estimable
May 7, 2014
The only problem with #1 is that sometimes, I really can't find good sources of programs that I need in the present... Anyways, I never crack games, because I don't even know how, lol...

Where can I find msconfig?

My PC has always been idle for a while now, but it never defrags my scattered game files?

I am an orgranized person in my computer, but not IRL. Sometimes, I don't know if accidentally or not, I download more than 1 copy of something which I also consider as junk. File duplicates, temporary files, etc are my common enemies in my disk space...

Pinhedd

Distinguished

If you can't immediately find a suitable commercial or FOSS product to suit your needs, then you should get some second opinions on anything else that you may be considering. Don't just blindly download the first "greeting card maker free download" that you see for example. In fact, anything that is marketed as a "free download" should be avoided like the plague. Professional FOSS/freeware products such as OpenOffice, VLC Player, MPC-HC, XBMC, GNU project software, and VirtualBox don't need to maximize their installations (because they're clean) so the marketing is much more professional. If in doubt, see if there's an established community or someone else who is willing to vouch for it.

msconfig is a program on your computer that is a part of the Windows operating system. You can launch it from the run dialogue or Windows 8 start menu.

Defragmentation occurs at the hard disk drive block layer. It does not change anything in the file system hierarchy itself so you will not see any files move around. Rather it tries to bring bits of a file that had been broken up across the disk drive together on the disk to reduce access time. This is a time consuming process, so it's normally done when the PC is not in use. If you leave it on it will do it automatically.

Solution