Craig White

Honorable
Jul 13, 2012
I'm thinking buying a lg google tv. It is a brand new tv just released in the market so it is a bit pricey for me. So I would like to ask the owners how it is and whether it is worth the money. Thank you for advance. :wahoo:

bobketcham

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012

Craig,

I have two Google TV standalone boxes, one Sony and one Logitech. I think I would consider the standalone box vs. having the Google TV integrated into the set. This is especially true if you are using an external box (cable or satellite) for the primary programming on the set. The Google TV box goes in the HDMI line between Cable/Sat box. If you already have an A/V receiver between the Cable/Sat box and the set, the Google TV box would feed into it. Google TV overlays the Cable/Sat picture. Thus, you don't have to switch inputs to the receiver or the set to use the Google TV. The Google TV will also control the set, set top box and A/V receiver providing an integrated system remote control via the Google TV keyboard.

Here's some comments I wrote a couple of weeks ago in reply to a negative review of one of the new standalone boxes.

Bob Ketcham

A couple of years ago, I hooked up a MacMini to my family room TV. I used VLC Player and iTunes to play movies and music. Last fall, I learned there was a world of HTPC apps out there for the Mac. But since Apple was doing away with Front Row, I set out to pick the best HTPC app to use between Boxee, Plex and XMBC. After trying all three, I chose Plex. At the time, Plex was hands above XMBC. And, Boxee? It was just ugly.

Then Plex announced it was coming to Google TV. I immediately snapped up two before Christmas. One Sony w/Blu-Ray at $179, one Logitech at $99.

With the Google TV box, I got a far better integrated interface for my HTPC stuff - a keyboard that operates the TV, Receiver, the Dish DVR and Google TV. I no longer have to switch inputs to switch from the Dish DVR to the Mac for movies or music. The Google TV runs a Plex client. And for $99 for the Logitech, I got access to the Mac on a second TV. But, beyond that, Google TV fully controls my iTunes music throughout the house. And it gives me access to a boatload of music and movie apps, Pandora, Slacker, TuneIn Radio, Google Play Music, ESPN3, Netflix, Amazon Instant and of course, YouTube among others. And I have easy access to a number of useful things that used to take a computer or smartphone, including, e-mail, finances, news, weather, Google Voice (my answering machine), recipes and movie and TV guides.

And then there is web browsing... I can fling any web page I'm viewing on my MacBook over to the big screen. My wife can fling videos she's watching on her iPad over to the big screen. It simply changes the whole use of the the big screen.

Yeah, there have been some early adopter issues. Yeah, I'm pissed that Hulu has blocked their service, but it is their loss. I'm sure not very interested in changing the receiver input over to the MacMini and grabbing its keyboard just to watch Hulu. Google TV is great! It extends a better integrated home theater PC experience to any set in the house for a fraction of the cost of another HTPC. And Plex Rocks!

Should I decide I want to ditch Dish for free broadcast TV, I've got Elgato's EyeTV DVR software on the MacMini recording my favorite network shows from the dual tuner HDHomeRun. Plex plays back the recordings in any room with a Google TV.

And for a little icing on the cake, I ran across the Droid NAS app. The developer fixed it up to work with the USB drives attached to the Google TV. The Google TV can become a nice performing NAS on my network at the touch of a button. Makes it really easy to move movies and music to the GTV, doing away with even the need for the MacMini.

trepxe

Honorable
Feb 14, 2012

If you like you like using some of the premium smart apps, then its a must. The youtube app has been "pimped out" to the fullest on the google TV vs the regular app version on ex: viera, lg smart, samsung smart.

gabelevvvy

Honorable
Jul 22, 2012
If you are still planning on buying one, HH Gregg is offering an insane deal on it.

47G2: $1,700 -> $1,200
55G2: $2,300 -> $1,700

It ends Jul. 28. You don't have enough time.. :D

Craig White

Honorable
Jul 13, 2012

Oh, that's sweet. Today is the last day. I gotta make a decision by end of the day. Thank you so much, gabelevvvy.

yang0409

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012

Were you able to take advantage of the deal?

ashytoclassy

Honorable
Aug 8, 2012
I would really like one. I have heard that LG and Google are going to be hooking up. Some have negative aspects about it, but I believe it would be good for both companies. Any thoughts?