A Phone That Can Read Your Lips Is Coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minus_i7

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
"There are plans to add translation
functionality as well. Speak in French for instance, and your contact in Germany will still be able to understand you."

This strikes me as the more useful feature that you'd think would be developed first. When last I looked, a silent phone call could be done via text message or email.

camerone222

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
...or you could just send a text message.

Don't get me wrong, I hate sending texts when I don't have to, but sometimes they come in really handy.

My favorite is when a friend will text me "call me," needless to say I do not usually call them...

Minus_i7

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
Maybe they can make one to recognize sign language and translate that into voice on the other end, and vice-versa. That'd be neat and more useful.

Abrahm

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
[citation][nom]emperus[/nom]Sticking electrodes to the face..!! Not so very fashionable i say.. The future plans look good though..[/citation]
Not fashionable until you stick an Apple logo on it!

kalogagatya

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
hmm i wonder if they'll ever come up with a mind reading device that translates thoughts into phone voice or messages:

"hi! Food sex games? food! Sex games, food games.. ahhh, boobs...food! Also money cars technology. Sex. Food games, bye!.. oh oh one more thing.. ALCOHOL!"

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
No one is seeing the other aspect of this, mute people will be able to mouth words and have them spoken by a robo voice immediately!!! This is a HUGE breakthrough spanning many possibilities (!!!) and they did all so they could text in the middle of class...

blasterth

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
I think the problem of phone during classes and meeting is not only the noise, but also paying attention and some sort of respect.
Great product anyway :D

ivan_chess

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
Great, now HAL9000 is portable and all we're going to hear is "I'm sorry Dave, I can't let you do that."

(2001: A Space Odyssey by Arthur C Clarke for the youngsters)

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]Article[/nom]There are plans to add translation functionality as well. Speak in French for instance, and your contact in Germany will still be able to understand you.[/citation]
Surrendering has never been so easy!

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
I agree with some of the others I think the translation would be the best part. And the sign language would be great if they would be able to get that to work. If they manage even just the translation i'd buy what ever phone it worked for.

JohnnyLucky

Distinguished
May 30, 2007
[citation][nom]Honis[/nom]No one is seeing the other aspect of this, mute people will be able to mouth words and have them spoken by a robo voice immediately!!! This is a HUGE breakthrough spanning many possibilities (!!!) and they did all so they could text in the middle of class...[/citation]

Now that would be somethign really great! :D

G

can it translate to Klingon? lolz. serioulsy though, this can function like the universal translator..

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Its amazing that 2 mentally disabled adults have the knowledge to create this technology. I'm sorry but they look like they have special needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.