A question about the 7.1 surround soud of the HyperX Cloud II Gaming Headset

Status
Not open for further replies.

RacistCoffee

Estimable
Mar 22, 2015
If I have integrated 7.1 surround sound in my motherboard do I need to get the HyperX Cloud II Gaming Headset or can I just get the HyperX Cloud Gaming headset if I want to achieve 7.1 surround sound. THanks!

please do not create duplicate threads for the same question. i have closed your other thread http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2581840/question-surround-sound.html since it is the same question as this one.

integrated audio with 7.1 surround sound is different than 7.1 virtual surround support. you need to check if your motherboard has "virtual surround" support or not.

if it does, the hyperxcloud will be able to act as if it was surround sound. if not, you'd need a soundcard which does have that functionality (xonar dg is cheap and does just this).

the hyperxcloud II gets notably bad reviews (the first gets good reviews) and is known to have some rather major issues with it which is why the first version (hyperxcloud) is more recommended than the second.

--

copied from your other duplicate thread:

by tea urchin:
Your head set will have one jack plug, this is stereo. (left and right).
A 7.1 speaker system will have more plugs that go in additional sockets at the back of the pc for 3 left and 3 right plus one bass speaker.
At least thats my understanding of it.

RacistCoffee

Estimable
Mar 22, 2015

I'm a little confused, I have the FM2-A75MA-E35 MSI mobo. Will that work for 7.1?

i do not see any mention of virtual surround support, no. i glanced at the specs page on the official website (you may want to read the manual to double check).

this means that if you want virtual surround support you have 3 options

-razer's free virtual surround software
-an internal or external soundcard which supports it
-usb headset which has its own soundcard which supports it.

add:

well... you could also get one of the multi-driver "true" surround sound headsets which use three 3.5mm cables for audio and one for mic (4 cables) which would plug in and act like it was a 5.1 speaker set. that would also work but most of those are also expensive.

Renkazu

Estimable
Jul 19, 2015
humm, the cloud 2 obviously comes with their own sound card and 7.1 virtual system. now first off , this doesn't mean that there are 7 drivers in the headphones, cause there are only 2 but they try and produce a more 3d sounding sound. hence there is a button on the usb soundcard of hyper x cloud II that allows you to use this feature. There are no sound cards or such features on the Hyper X Cloud. Now, this doesn't rlly answer your question. If you already have a 7.1 surround card, im guessing you would need a type of driver or software, that simulates a 3d sound, cause what you're hearing isn't actually 7.1. which would be 7 speakers in all directions around u and 1 subwoofer, *( might be different, not sure)
however, many people say that the 7.1 is rubish cause all it does is it makes the audio a bit quieter and muffles the sound from headphones.

So, im guessing yes there is a way to make it sound like the 7.1 virtual audio feature in the hyper x cloud 2 with ur sound card in ur pc through a programe. however, overall the hyper x cloud II is a well known headset with good reputation. I have started using it today and it produces good warm sounds.

sorry i didn't completely answer your question with a yes or a no, but i hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.