A Sarcasm Algorithm That Detects Snotty Reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
I find more serious reviews on Newegg and Amazon than anywhere else for what I've bought but I wouldn't call it sarcasm that is the problem with reviews.

The mass majority of "bad" reviews are those whom aren't even reviewing the product itself. I understand the frustration of getting a product that doesn't work out of the box, it happens. Unfortunately that has nothing to do with the product itself and by rating something 1 or 0 out of 5 stars it destroys the products credibility when you are actually looking for feedback. People just need to realize what a review means and how you actually got about reviewing it. Amazon has a great number of users who initially review it crappy for a fail-out-of-box product and update it when they get the new one, that's reasonable.

IMO If you don't actually have a working product to review don't even add your input because all you are going to do is bitch and moan about how Newegg shipped you a crappy product bundled by an outsourced non-American made product that has lowered the quality of the product. It's completely irrelevant to what people are looking for when they want feedback.

Anyone else know what I mean?

Greg_77

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
wow THIS IS INCREDIBLE. Why didn't I think of this utterly fantastic amazing wonderful idea!?!?!?!?!?! I'M JUST SO IMPRESSED! /Sarcasm ;)

Sorry, had to be done

Strider-Hiryu_79

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
!I!AM!NOT!SARCASTIC!

or am I saying that I am not not sarcastic?!

!'TIS!THE!QUESTION!

Run this post through their sarcasm detector and let their comp sizzle up and generate a BSOD.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Just goes to show that computers aren't smart. They're high speed idiots.

Even dumb Humans can detect sarcasm better than 77%, maybe because they have so much practice at it.

twisted politiks

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
lol isnt the whole point of sarcasm to say a sentence, but with a tone that underlines your not serious about the statement you just made? this is why i dont like discussing important topics via text/email, but rather over the phone, so i can hear emotions, which, imo, is really how sarcasm is portrayed, along with facial and body expressions. i wouldnt put much hope in a product that checks for caps and exclamation points over raw emotions.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]bison88[/nom]I find more serious reviews on Newegg and Amazon than anywhere else for what I've bought but I wouldn't call it sarcasm that is the problem with reviews.The mass majority of "bad" reviews are those whom aren't even reviewing the product itself. I understand the frustration of getting a product that doesn't work out of the box, it happens. Unfortunately that has nothing to do with the product itself and by rating something 1 or 0 out of 5 stars it destroys the products credibility when you are actually looking for feedback. People just need to realize what a review means and how you actually got about reviewing it. Amazon has a great number of users who initially review it crappy for a fail-out-of-box product and update it when they get the new one, that's reasonable.IMO If you don't actually have a working product to review don't even add your input because all you are going to do is bitch and moan about how Newegg shipped you a crappy product bundled by an outsourced non-American made product that has lowered the quality of the product. It's completely irrelevant to what people are looking for when they want feedback.Anyone else know what I mean?[/citation]

Huh? A product that doesn't work out of the box has nothing to do with the product itself? Did you really say that?

Just say no to drugs!

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]TA152H[/nom]Huh? A product that doesn't work out of the box has nothing to do with the product itself? Did you really say that? Just say no to drugs![/citation]

I think he means people using the review section to complain isn't useful. In a perfect world, people who receive faulty units would request a new product and review that but include in their review that the first one they got didn't work.

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]I can already tell that this is going to be the most annoying/confusing thread I've ever read. . . What have I done?[/citation]

At least Apple didn't invent it...

Status
Not open for further replies.