A single imported frame becomes 150 frames long...

Robert Kelley

Estimable
May 7, 2014
I've started doing 3D work in MAYA. Great program, but you can't do an animation in MAYA, just render out "X" numbers of frames and then import them into another program like After Effects, Premier, or Vegas Movie Studio. Tonight I made a burning torch and rendered out an animation 98 frames long. (At 25 fps, this should give me about 4 seconds of animation) I imported all 98 frames into VMS, selected all, and dragged them up into the Video timeline. The problem is, each icon in the timeline takes up 150 frames of space from the moment the scrubber touches it, to the moment it leaves. I did a "Make Movie" and what should have been 4 seconds long became 7 minutes, 45 seconds. What is going wrong? Thanks.

You might want to look at the import settings for images and check the duration. I know by default when you import an image (in your case a frame) Adobe Premiere sets a duration of 5 seconds per image in the timeline. Thus a single frame becomes roughly 150 (5 seconds x 29.97) frames.

Import settings for which program? If VMS then you might want to take a look at this:
"With your project open select the first pic, right click on it and choose Select Events to End, then Copy

Launch VMS again so you have a new window. Go to Options > Preferences > Editing and adjust the New Still Image Length to the desired length.

Make note of what it says on the right. 1.000 (1 second) is 30 fps so 0.250 is a quarter second or 7 fps. If your pics are 1fps then set it to 0.050 which will be 1fps

Then Paste. All your pics from the first window will now be pasted into the new window with the desired length."
Source: http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/Forums/ShowMessage.asp?Forum=12&MessageID=839809

I don't know of a way to attach files on here but if you could zip the files then you might could send them that way. Of course that all depends on how large the file is after it is compressed. I realize you would need a email address for that and it could be arranged. Something like DropBox or some other service would probably be even better.

What settings did you use? Please be as specific as possible.

Robert Kelley

Estimable
May 7, 2014

Ken:

I've prepared three .zip files. One is the Burning Torch (4.41 Kb), the second is Hallway (18.3 Mb) and the last is the actual Vega Movie Studio doc. that I used for both animations.(1.72 Mb) I use YouSendIt (now called Hightail). What address should I use? Tom's Hardware looks to be a large site. How to get the message to you? Thanks.

Kelley

I sent you a private message with my email address.

Downloading a trial version of VMS so I can open the vegas file. I got the three files you sent. I see the stuttering you've mentioned. Were the 98 frames included? I see two .avi files and the project file.

Folder structure? Does it matter how it's organized in VMS?

Just as I suspected, I need the .jpg files for the project. When I opened the project file in VMS it said files were missing and those files are the .jpg files. If you will compress and send then we will be one step closer to solving this issue.

These are the settings I used:
New still image length (seconds): 0.05 1 frames at 25 fps
Got to this by Options>Preferences>Editing tab>New still image length (seconds):
Project settings:
Template: PAL DV (720x576, 25.000 fps)
Default settings were used so nothing was changed.
I am currently uploading the file to one of my YouTube channels. I will send you the link via a private message when the upload is complete.

Note: I used Movie Studio 13 to create the video. I'm not sure what version you are using.

Update: The video has been uploaded to YouTube. I sent you the link via a private message. I think you will be pleased with the outcome.