A smartphone-centric life?

fwupow

Distinguished
May 30, 2008
The computing power in the latest smartphones is impressive and it opens up an opportunity that may appeal to many and that is to make your smartphone the central & sole computing device in your life. Think how much simpler things would be if you only need to keep on top of ONE operating system and ONE set of applications and all their requisite maintenance and updating.

Has anyone tried this? Smartphone cradles for the automobile, motorcycle and bicycle are easy enough to find as well as personal holsters & belt-clip cases etc. but I don't see very good support or exposure on technology sites for home desktop docking stations. Connecting full-size keyboards, large screen monitors and scanner/printers - the usual desktop PC peripherals is essential.

Not having to maintain multiple devices and familiarity with multiple user interfaces appeals to me. For example, Why have one GPS Nav device for your wrist, another for your bicycle and yet another built into your car when you can just use a smartphone for any type of conveyance? This way you can plan a route and be navigated to your destination no matter what vehicle you use or even if you walk, run or crawl. Not just simplification, but also a good way to save money if you're buying less hardware and less software by eliminating redundancy.

So anyway, in light of the power to be found these days in smartphones or phablets, the smartphone-centric life is looking like a feasible direction to go in. I'd just like to read articles about it.

Blaise170

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013
I just don't see this happening. Smartphones are just too small for the average person to use without an external monitor, and we already have computers smaller than phones for a much smaller price (Raspberry Pi for example). As much as I like technology, I personally don't like the idea of being controlled by a device in my pocket and I can see people who aren't so technically inclined thinking the same way. Yes it is convenient for my phone to be able to look up information on the internet and to be able to communicate efficiently with others, but I really do not like the idea of it tracking my every move.

nukemaster

Distinguished
For some users this is an option for sure, but for users demanding more storage they will also need to add a NAS and a good data plan for when they are out and about.

For replacing a gps/map it is great because they do have mounts for almost everything nowdays. for replacing my media center, they are not quite to that point yet.

Since cellular technology is actually moving faster than many other technology(already killing hand held gaming devices to some extent and taking the place of laptops that had already taken the place of desktops), I can see your future happening for sure.

Some companies also mad docks to allow certain cell phones to be used in a laptop like device or even used at a desktop. not too much success yet, but one can not tell the future.

Power users will still want to have a nice hulking desktop around for when they want more power or performance.

USAFRet

Illustrious
Some people have. I'd imagine a lot of 20 somethings do this. A mid 50's close friend of mine does this. She operates 100% on her phone. And it shows...:(

But pretty much only content consumption, and very little content creation.

For multiple reasons, I couldn't.

nukemaster

Distinguished

I see this all the time. I do not know how some of these people can use a phone with a computer sitting a few feet away or needing to have a phone glued to ones hands at all times.

USAFRet

Illustrious

I don't even have a smartphone. Can't have it at work, don't need it at home....why pay for it?
Just an old dumb clamshell phone that I rarely use.

And by 'can't have it at work'....that's a firing.

Blaise170

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013

Mhm, even with the introduction of tablets which have taken a large market share, I'd much rather stick with my good ol' desktop.