Solved! A terrible experience with ASUS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 18, 2021
Bought their Zephyrus 15 Duo for 3k. Sent it in to repair a screw on the motherboard. Waited for half a month to get it back.
Unpacked the box, press the start button - wow! now it won’t even start!
Contacted customer service, no explanation, just asked me to send it in again for another two weeks.
Guys, my last Dell G7 cost about 1k, while their customer service is 10 times better. Avoid ASUS.

Reactions: Red Butler
Solution
Yeah, I can relate with the frustration of dealing with lame ASUS products and tech support. My ASUS Zenbook 15 started giving me the BSOD (blue screen of death) about 6 months into use. Tech support was of almost no help, could only suggest reseting the machine to factory settings, whiping all my data and apps from the last 6 months (naturally I backed up, but still). And that still offered no help, so I'll have to send the machine back with no prospect of getting a replacement (both through Amazon, and apparently better support if I bought it through the Asus eStore.)

So, I'd say avoid ASUS as well. $1200 for a machine that shuts down every 10-30 minutes and constantly loses wifi connection (another common issue with ASUS per...

mrmike16

Honorable
Is this a question?

Dell has given me some terrible support as well (On one laptop I have spent about 36 hours of telephone calls with them), but in the end I also had a very good Dell Inspiron laptop, considering that is their lower-end brand. ASUS has given me good support overall, but everyone has different experiences. Microsoft has actually given me the best customer support out of all of the computer manufacturer customer support services that I have called (HP, Dell, ASUS, and even Apple).

But ranting here won't really do you any good, as I don't think ASUS even pays attention to these sites...

Nov 25, 2021
Yeah, I can relate with the frustration of dealing with lame ASUS products and tech support. My ASUS Zenbook 15 started giving me the BSOD (blue screen of death) about 6 months into use. Tech support was of almost no help, could only suggest reseting the machine to factory settings, whiping all my data and apps from the last 6 months (naturally I backed up, but still). And that still offered no help, so I'll have to send the machine back with no prospect of getting a replacement (both through Amazon, and apparently better support if I bought it through the Asus eStore.)

So, I'd say avoid ASUS as well. $1200 for a machine that shuts down every 10-30 minutes and constantly loses wifi connection (another common issue with ASUS per recent Amazon reviews, like the BSOD issues) is not worth the fancy two screen feature. This Zenbook lasted 9 months, I wish I'd just bought an Apple again - as I'm typing this on my 9 year old MacBook.

mrmike16

Honorable

So, I'd say avoid ASUS as well. $1200 for a machine that shuts down every 10-30 minutes and constantly loses wifi connection (another common issue with ASUS per recent Amazon reviews, like the BSOD issues) is not worth the fancy two screen feature. This Zenbook lasted 9 months, I wish I'd just bought an Apple again - as I'm typing this on my 9 year old MacBook.
It isn't as if MacBooks are free of critical common issues as well. From my experience with them I found out that inflating batteries (which usually breaks other parts like the glass touchpad) is to be expected and for the past 12 years they have done nothing about it.

It is definitely true that laptop quality is not what it once was. They are made carelessly. That is why I would only go for a Microsoft PC or a business-class one. Financially I can't do that so in reality I would get the cheapest one that suits my needs, so that I don't feel like I wasted money when it pops up with common issues.

What ASUS suggested in your comment is what most manufacturers would do. For a BSOD, usually the way to go is to check your drivers. Then you see if it happens in Safe Mode. If it still happens a Reset is the most common fix- but a clean installation is better. Manufacturers almost always ask you to reset the computer to rule out software issues.

Desktops are much safer.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.