Access music on a usb drive

phil632

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017
I put my music collection onto a 500GB usb drive. What would be a good way to access my music; pick an album or set up a playlist without using my laptop? My smart tv, bluray, and my modem/router all have usb connection, but all they seem to do is allow access to album or artist folders to find and play music. It's very limited. Should I look into using my android phone to access the usb drive? And if so, how would I do that? Please let me know if there are different options for me. thanks, Phil

Solution
Sonos would certainly work and also give you access to streaming services and internet radio too.
Plug the stick into your router or a PC.
The free app works on many devices and gives you full control.
You can use a Sonos Connect with powered speakers, stereo or av system.
You can use a Sonos ConnectAmp with passive speakers.
You can use a Sonos Playbar (also works on your TV).
You can use Sonos Play speakers and Sub in different combinations. Provides up to 32 zones on one router so it's expandable. Alexa control coming this year.

phil632

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017

thank you for your answer. I looked into Alexis and also Google Home this morning ( I may need to get one of these. lol). However, what I see seems like they are made for streaming music. I'm not sure if they will access my music files from the usb drive that I have connected into my home network. But maybe they can. Thanks again. I will keep researching these. Anyone else with suggestions?

Sonos would certainly work and also give you access to streaming services and internet radio too.
Plug the stick into your router or a PC.
The free app works on many devices and gives you full control.
You can use a Sonos Connect with powered speakers, stereo or av system.
You can use a Sonos ConnectAmp with passive speakers.
You can use a Sonos Playbar (also works on your TV).
You can use Sonos Play speakers and Sub in different combinations. Provides up to 32 zones on one router so it's expandable. Alexa control coming this year.

Solution

phil632

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017

americanaudiophile -- I just looked into Sonos. this looks good. I got online and chatted with them and this might be my solution. it'll take me a couple days to check it out and test it, but this seems good. i'll get back on here and let you know.