Acer 5552g corrupted bios

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Razeh

Honorable
May 28, 2012
Hello.

Excuse me if I'm posting in the wrong section but I'm in need of help and I'm not sure what to do anymore.

My Acer 5552g laptop died yesterday. It doesn't show anything on the screen and only one led is lighting up: the one that has a little lightbulb icon above. The cooling fan starts for a few seconds but then it goes into idle. I haven't done anything special with the laptop prior to it malfunctioning. I've just shut it down (it told me that some background software needs to be closed first but I was in a hurry and clicked the force shutdown button) and the next day, when I tried to turn it on it started behaving like I mentioned.

I suspect it might be a corrupted BIOS problem even tho I haven't tried installing a new version of BIOS on it. I have tried the recovery mode technique which involves pressing FN and Esc and then powering it on while having a BIOS.fd file on an USB stick but that didn't work. Today I have disassembled it in order to find and take out the CMOS battery but I am not able to locate it.

I have attached some pictures of the motherboard. Maybe you can help me find the CMOS battery. Or suggest a solution.

Thank you very much!

2ypf3sw.jpg

29yqvk6.jpg

Razeh

Honorable
May 28, 2012
Yes. Also after a bit of researching I have found out that the little thing you pinpointed from my first set of pictures is in fact the CMOS battery. It is soldered to the motherboard and I don't think there's a way to remove it.

When the power comes on can you hear/feel the HDD spin up? Is there any more activity on the HDD you notice? 30-40 seconds of HDD read activity like the system is trying to boot from the HDD?

Do you have an external monitor you can attach? There might be a Fn+Key combo needed to activate the external screen.

Razeh

Honorable
May 28, 2012
I tried connecting the laptop to an external LCD but it doesn't do anything. I have also tried booting it up without the hard drive and then without the DDR.The hard drive did heat up a bit.

I tested the USB's by plugging in my phone and it did charge. Could this mean that it's not hardware related?

You can test using a bootable CD or DVD if you have one.
That should allow you to bypass a possible problem with the HDD.
But a problem with the HDD alone should not keep the LCD from displaying or keep you from entering BIOS with the F2 key.

Status
Not open for further replies.