Acer 5742Z occasionally constant rebooting.

rwpirani

Commendable
Sep 10, 2016
This Acer 5742Z laptop, occasionally, constantly restarts or reboots. It not a overheating problem. Because it does it from a cold start. It boots to the Acer logo; shows the "F2 to setup" notice and then reboots. During this boot cycling, the F2 does not work. Somethimes it boots up normally. The cycle stops when I removed the DVD drive. So, I replaced the drive with a new one, without any change. It still continues to reboot. One note, sometimes, the laptop does not recognize the DVD drive. For, in My Computer, sometimes, the drive is not shown. I've already replaced the HDD and removed each of the memory chips, one at a time. No change. It doesn't appear to be a Windows issue. Because this happens before Windows loads. I am at a loss on what else to try. Could it be a Bios or motherboard issue? Any suggestions?

rwpirani

Commendable
Sep 10, 2016
Acer 5742Z is a laptop. It has a SATA DVD drive that slides into the side of the laptop and connects to the SATA ports. I believe the SATA ports are on the motherland. Thank you for you response.

rwpirani

Commendable
Sep 10, 2016
I replaced the DVD drive with a new one. But, I will remove the drive and blow air into the drive slot, just to make sure it isn't a dust problem. Boy, that would be an easy fix. Thanks again you for your assistance.

rwpirani

Commendable
Sep 10, 2016
That would be quite a coincidence, if the new DVD drive caused the the same rebooting issue as the old existing drive. I hope I can soon find a solution to this annoying issue. Thanks again for you time

rwpirani

Commendable
Sep 10, 2016
Well, I just did a bios update. The Acer logo changed. System setup looks a little different. But, the constant rebooting continues. It continues to reboot until I set the laptop on its side, removed a screw from the bottom and slid out the DVD drive. Then, win7 loads. This is my grand daughters laptop, I'm trying to fix. But I'm out of ideas. Please any other suggestions.

Depending on which motherboard you have, you might have a small PCB with the connector for the DVD player. This PCB is connected to the motherboard with a ribbon. To check if you have the PCB, you have to open the laptop. I tell you this because if you have this PCB, maybe the ribbon is not connected to the motherboard correctly.

rwpirani

Commendable
Sep 10, 2016
It's been a while since I operated on a laptop. It takes preparation, to do it right. So, I watched, on YouTube, a disassembly video on the Acer 5742z laptop. And, the sata DVD drive connector has a film cable that's connected to the motherboard. I can get to it, just by removing the keyboard. If the drive cable is in good condition, I will reseat it. Then, if the rebooting problem continues, I will put a dummy blank DVD drive in the drive slot. Then, I'll get an external USB DVD drive. That will solve the rebooting problem. That will be that!
Oh yes, I knew there are cables running throughout a laptop. I just thought the DVD drive probably plugged directly to the motherboard. I was wrong. Yes, I am not afraid to say someone else was right and I was wrong. Thank to all for your assistance. Anymore suggestion are always welcome.

For your model, you have different motherboards, your presumption was right because usually the connector for the ODD is soldered directly to the motherboard. But some models has this small PCB, you must open it to find out.