Acer Aspire 5520 shutdown

Mar 19, 2018
While streaming soccer last night, my old Vista-running Acer Aspire 5520 shut down without warning. This has happened before, but I attributed it to dust and blew into the fan and it tended to do the trick. When the battery was in and this happened, at least the green power light blinks first, along with the orange battery light, giving me a little warning to save my work. This time, I opened the bottom, removed and took apart the fan to clean out the dust, removed the heat sink and thoroughly unclogged and cleaned the vent combs/fins (they were quite bad) and applied Noctua thermal paste in two spots where there had been some crusty paste before (I followed a Youtube tutorial). Alas, it still shuts down after a minute or so, after booting up fine and getting to the desktop. I can hear the fan. I tried the trick where you hold the power button down for 30 secs without battery or adapter plugged in, and after this, the orange battery light no longer blinks, but if I turn the computer on it shuts off again soon after (I can hear the fan). Thanks!

Solution
Could be a dead motherboard or CPU, especially if it was running with clogged fans and vents.

Try removing the CMOS battery from the motherboard, unplug from all power, hold in the power button down for 30 seconds. Plug in only wall power and see if it turns on. If it does, connect the CMOS battery and see if it turns on with that.
Could be a dead motherboard or CPU, especially if it was running with clogged fans and vents.

Try removing the CMOS battery from the motherboard, unplug from all power, hold in the power button down for 30 seconds. Plug in only wall power and see if it turns on. If it does, connect the CMOS battery and see if it turns on with that.

Solution
Mar 19, 2018
Thank you for your time, and solution, hang-the-9. Last night I took a closer look at the charger / AC adapter, and it turned out to have a spot on the cord near where it joins the main adaptor box, which, due to too much bending over its lifetime, was barely connected, and with frays and burns to boot. Yes, and a definite fire hazard. I did splice it back together and the computer had no issues afterwards. So, it just wasn't getting all the power it needed, as simple as that. Now to search for a replacement charger.

fagetti

Prominent
Mar 1, 2018
Well maybe this was a good thing, i have atleast 3 acer aspire 5552g failing cause of northbridge or gpu overheating. Atleast you change thermal paste maybe you dont get this problem later on.