Acer Aspire 5541 turns on then off - doesnt reach BIOS screen.

xzuttz

Estimable
Jan 21, 2015
Hi,

When I turn on my laptop it turns off within 1-2 seconds. I can hear the CPU fan spinning. I have to wait a while until it let's me turn it on again.

I just recently changed the boot order in the BIOS, but I doubt that this could be the reason. I also removed the thermal paste from the CPU, but it doesnt seem like it is getting overheated.

Also tried different chargers, the issue remains.

Any suggestions?

Solution
Welcome to Tom's Guide Forums
When you removed the thermal compound from the CPU what was it replaced with and did you use the thinnest possible amount? If thermal compound was not replaced, it is overheating (the symptom seems to fit), this video can give you an idea of just how fast that can happen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSGcnRanYMM
I would think you'll need to get back into the laptop to check a few things (and put on fresh compound if it hasn't been done).
Check that the CMOS battery is at 3v, that battery going bad can cause strange behavior (including not booting)
Here's what my primary concern would be especially if that occurred before you removed thermal compound, blown capacitor(s) on the motherboard. While...
Welcome to Tom's Guide Forums
When you removed the thermal compound from the CPU what was it replaced with and did you use the thinnest possible amount? If thermal compound was not replaced, it is overheating (the symptom seems to fit), this video can give you an idea of just how fast that can happen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSGcnRanYMM
I would think you'll need to get back into the laptop to check a few things (and put on fresh compound if it hasn't been done).
Check that the CMOS battery is at 3v, that battery going bad can cause strange behavior (including not booting)
Here's what my primary concern would be especially if that occurred before you removed thermal compound, blown capacitor(s) on the motherboard. While inside look over the motherboard for any blown, swollen or leaky capacitors or any discoloration or burns on IC chips (symptoms also fit)

Solution