Acer Aspire 5742-6674 Screen Brightness Problem (on battery power)

goody921

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2011
Hello...
I have a question about Apsire 5742-6674 Screen Brightness...
The screen works fine when I doing web browsing or documents..(on battery)
However, when I watch movie or TV shows with VLC on battery....the screen gets dark and bright again....and when i switch from the full screen mode....i notice the screen is getting brighter....

Pretty sure it's not just my eyes... However, I am not sure if it's normal for this laptop to do it....

Thanks

Mike

goody921

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2011

It just done that on web browsing too...sigh
(should I return the laptop?)

Hello goody921;
Too early to think about a return. Screen stays bright when plugged in, right?

You can probably change the Power Management options.
I think that is what's telling the screen to use less power (dimmer) to make the battery last longer.

goody921

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2011

If it's the power saver problem....How can I turn it off....like not doing this....alternative...turning brightness on and off....
It's kinda bothersome when I browsing the internet and seeing the brightness go up and down...

thanks...

P.S it this a feature of acer's...anyone experience the same thing?

kashif_07

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
i ve also an issue of monitor.... when i put down any thing in full screen mod the colour of screen change... it become dimmer and redish... and even somtimes it is happining in normal working...... i had purchase aspire 5742 last weak.. even i claim warranty.... but the issue is still exist

manishd3

Distinguished
May 31, 2011
Hi there

I've got the exact same problem on the Acer Aspire 5750. Whenever I play a video on VLC whilst on battery I can notice the brightness/contrast go up and down sporadically, and it really bugs me. Has anyone been able to find a solution or cause for the problem. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the ePower management utility (not that I could find any instance of it working in the first place) but that doesn't seem to solve it.

Would be curious to see what people think of the problem.

torsnow

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
I think I've found the solution! I have an Aspire 5742 and this was driving me crazy. I opened up the Advanced Graphics Properties via the Intel Graphics Control Panel (usually accessible via an icon in the system tray, bottom right of your screen). Went to "Power" and then "Power Features" and chose "Battery" from the dropdown. There was an option to "Display Power Saving Technology" which I unchecked, and after going back and forth between settings, it appears to be the issue! Good luck to everyone else :)

manishd3

Distinguished
May 31, 2011

Oh my god! You genius! This has totally solved the problem for me. Thanks!

G

First of all, it's not a problem, it's a feature. torsnow gave you the solution to turning that feature off.

Secondly, with default settings turned on, that feature switches from the processor-integrated video card to the nVIDIA video card, thus saving energy when there's no need for the more powerful and power craving nVIDIA card.

cheers!

G

Hi torsnow! I've been working with laptops for some years now and have never come across this particular power saving feature! I'm sure it has only recently started on an Acer 5742 - the display dimming when all open windows were minimised - but your tip worked a treat! Thanks .... Robin. :D