Acer Aspire 7551G PC goes on, but Black screen

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

midnihtoil

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013
Hey I tried turning my laptop on this morning, but I was only greeted by a blank, black screen. I even tried connecting it through hdmi to a different screen, but still no results.
The laptop seems to turn on, I can hear the fans whizzing and stuff, but the screen stays blank. It was working fine yesterday.

Tomtheblog

Estimable
May 26, 2015
Acer aspire E1-571 had same issue boot up to black screen. Removed the battery when machine was on and replaced again. Booted correctly next time. Just ran troubleshooting on system and it found two errors on previous windows 8 and auto corrected them. Thanks for the tip on the battery.

ric0sm00th

Estimable
Jun 4, 2015
Greetings all,

I've been dealing with this same problem essentially since I got my Acer. There are two things have worked for me but first, there is NOTHING wrong with your drivers or HDD (regardless of what Acer says). I've found that it has to do with the connection between the mother board and the physical screen. I'm not a PC tech but I know enough to manage my way around hardware and this is what has worked for me:

Solution 1:

As stated by other users, perform a hard restart. Remove the battery and leave everything unplugged for a few seconds then only plug the laptop in (without battery). This has actually worked very well for me for many months however in recent times I had to do this multiple times before the video card would boot on start up.

Solution 2:

As stated above I do believe this has to do with the connection between the mother board and physical screen. Instead of opening the laptop screen to a full 90 degrees (completely upright) I leave the screen partially closed at or less than 45 degrees and press the start button.

Again, I am NOT a PC or laptop tech and this is purely anecdotal but for whatever reason this has worked very well for me. I don't want to discredit other suggestions such as checking your drivers and updating them but in my case none of that was the issue.

I hope this helps; this is a very frustrating problem and unfortunately Acer isn't very helpful.

GeorgeTheman

Estimable
May 27, 2015
Hi!
My Vaio laptop won´t start.Now start only without Cmos battery.Every time I have to remove battery and unplug.So I think is something software.Restarts work.But if i shut down and start again is not work.Untill I remove again Cmos batteri,cord and battery.In fact cmos and laptops battery is totally removed and I use only powercord which I plug out after Shuting down.
Ram is tested,tryed 3 SSD,instaledd W8.1 in Legacy also in UEFI.All works only as described-whitout cmos(bios battery) and tottaly drained.
Have anyone some ideas?

Thanks in advance !
George

arre525

Estimable
Sep 24, 2015
As stated above I do believe this has to do with the connection between the mother board and physical screen. Instead of opening the laptop screen to a full 90 degrees (completely upright) I leave the screen partially closed at or less than 45 degrees and press the start button.

Yup, same thing here.
At boot, either screen is dark (until windows boots, which activates the backlight but nothing else), or it shows the bios correctly.
If it shows the bios screen, I can tilt the screen in any direction, and it will still fully boot.

The trick thus, is making it boot in the first seconds with the screen lighting, then I'm fine.

Pretty sure this is the connection. Slighly pulling the left hinge towards me also seems to make it better:)

Layne_

Estimable
Oct 6, 2015

The screen has a flat strip of wiring that connects to multiple little "spikes" if you will. So your assumption of barely opening the screen could actually be the correct choice seeing as how the less opened screen is pulling less on the strip ft hats plugged in on tour mother board. If by possible look up raspberry pi and connecting a screen. You'll see the strip I'm talking a out and how simple it really is. :)

crazykappa

Estimable
Nov 26, 2015
I have the same laptop, with the same issues, now there are a wide variety of fixes given to you already, that deal with issues with similar symptoms. It is certainly not the HD, as it will post without it! If all you are seeing is the main power light, and are hearing no beeps, as well as these other answers not helping. Try this, take the ram out, then start the laptop, see if it beeps, if it does not, and nothing else has worked, your motherboard needs to be re-flowed.

The issue lies where the video card connects to the motherboard, over time, the solder will become porous, and present a bad connection. Its actually a common issue with this model, i have had to re-flow my motherboard 3 times now, now i never turn it off, it only goes dead when i turn it off, and it cools down. The constant fluctuation of hot and cold, causes stress fractures in any metal, but add that dynamic to the fact that flowing electrons do product friction, and cheap solder will become porous. Re-flowing heats up the motherboard, since solder melts at such a low temperature, it will liquify without damaging the motherboard, (if you do it right) allowing the solder to re-solidify once it cools.

Status
Not open for further replies.