Acer Aspire 7720G Blank Screen Sometimes

richard_2013

Honorable
Mar 14, 2013
Hi
I am having a problem with my Acer Aspire 7720g it’s to do with the screen, sometimes I can switch the machine on and it will boot up displaying the Acer Bios screen and then into windows as normal, it can sit there for many hours and I can use it for watching high definition films without a problem, then without warming over the course of about a minute lines might appear across a movie or what I can only describe as pixilation blocks by this I mean block of colours or lines which appear over the movie in question until the point that the whole thing (pc) locks or freezes.

The only thing I can do then is to switch it off, I can then leave the machine off for ten minutes or a day, upon switching the machine back on the results are the same in that I get what I can only describe as a very dark grey/black screen with light emulating from the bottom slowly moving up as the screen becomes lighter (sometimes) there may appear thin vertical lines of differing colours as the screen lightens still further it becomes cloudy foggy almost moving lighter until it sits at what I can only describe as an off white screen before then becoming darker again almost like a rotation until it reverts back to its initial dark self, of course it’s not the same result every time its switched on but it is always a mixture of the above – have anyone got any firm ideas is it most likely to be the card or the screen, replacement card or upgrade the card completely
Any input appreciated

ratedk

Distinguished
More than likely it is the screen that is at fault. You can test it by plugging it into an external monitor. If you get the same bad image on both screens, you can assume it is the GPU. If the picture on the external is okay, then it's the internal screen.