Acer aspire 7741 7870 blinking light.

MySimpleNeeds

Commendable
Mar 22, 2016
I'm trying to repair an acer laptop, but am not sure what the problem may be. It was working but the screen color suddenly turned orange so I tried to restart it. Now when I go to turn it on the power and light bulb icons just flash repeatedly with the battery in and does not turn on at all when the brick is removed. I've tired holding down the power button for 30-60 sec with the power brick and RAM removed and that didn't work.
Acer aspire 7741 7870. Can anyone help?

Hi,

This can be another case of a bad display or the motherboard itself. Here are some troubleshooting steps that I suggest to someone who had the same problem with their laptop.
steps that may help.
- Start by doing a hard reboot, remove the battery and unplug the AC adapter then press and hold the power button for 20 seconds then try booting it up again.
- Next is to reseat the RAM's, remove them all for couple of seconds then put them back in making sure everything is seated properly.
- If the laptop is lighting up but there's not display you'll need to connect your laptop onto an external monitor to check if its a problem with the built in display or the GPU itself.
- If you'll get a display from the external display that means the problem is the built in display and what you can do about it is to check the ribbon cable that connects the LCD to the motherboard and lastly if that will not work replacing the entire screen is the only solution.
- Do also try a different AC adapter that has the same voltage.
- If all these will not work then the problem would be the motherboard.

MySimpleNeeds

Commendable
Mar 22, 2016
It was the gpu, so I bought a replacement mother board and now it powers up with the battery in but it doesn't even get to the boot screen. I tried plugging it in but it didn't register the power adapter. I also tried seeing if I could get it to show anything by connecting it with the hdmi port to my moniter but still nothing. I noticed that the number on the board was different from the one I had in it. Is it possible that it is not compatible with the rest of the laptop.