Acer Aspire E15 E5-571 have lost the applications, start menu and tiles screen since automatic updates on windows 10

BoseBose1

Estimable
Sep 3, 2015
Hi all!

I have the Acer Aspire E15 E5-571 bought recently. Since Microsoft automatically updated my windows 10 applications on 01.09.2015, all the software that came with the computer now seems to be lost. I have not been able to get the start menu up so no tiles show up. I cannot access in built applications such as Wordpad, calculator calender etc. All the windows applications are working fine. When I switch it on, then put in my password it says welcome but goes straight to the desktop. The mouse pad works with the right click put not with the left click so I can turn it off and it does take me back to the sign in screen and allows me to shut down!
Is there a bug with Windows 10 that would wipe out I assume my Acer drives so all the software that came with it is removed automatically?

Please solve this problem as I don't want a black screen saga. I have not done a factory reset yet as I fear everything on my computer hard drive that came with the Acer Aspire is no longer there.

Also, I was on Windows 8.1 but upgraded to Windows 10 and everthing worked fine. Now when I go into control panel System and Security is says back up Windows 7. If I do a factory reset will it take me back to Windows 8.1 which came with the computer or reset it back to Windows 7.

I am backing up all files first before I try anything!

Solution
Try re-installing the built-in apps using the following instructions. Open up an elevated Powershell window by typing Powershell in Start, right clicking on the first option, and selecting "Run as administrator." In the prompt that appears, enter this command:

Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers| Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}

There will be several errors which can be safely ignored. The whole process may take a few minutes. After this is done, try running your apps now.

metalicgeek

Estimable
Try re-installing the built-in apps using the following instructions. Open up an elevated Powershell window by typing Powershell in Start, right clicking on the first option, and selecting "Run as administrator." In the prompt that appears, enter this command:

Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers| Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}

There will be several errors which can be safely ignored. The whole process may take a few minutes. After this is done, try running your apps now.

Solution

BoseBose1

Estimable
Sep 3, 2015
To get the start menu/screen back this is how to do it in easy steps for you non computer geeks out there who don't know how to open an elevated PowerShell window.

*****Do backup any data you’ve saved in the Modern Apps as all of them will not be re-installed. Desktop software and in built apps won’t be affected though.*****

*****Dependent on version date might be differerent and the version code will be too; but you will still see the same prompts in Windows 8, 8.1 or 10.

1. HOW TO OPEN POWERSHELL AS ADMINISTRATOR.

a) Right click Start Button using mouse

b) Choose Command Prompt (Admin)

C) You should see something like this written on black screen ... (dependent on version - mine is windows 8 - 8.1) upgraded to 10)

Microsoft Windows [version 10.0818240]
(c) 2015 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
C:\WINDOWS\system32>

a) Key Powershell in Black window - C:\WINDOWS\system32>Powershell
Then click Enter
b) Next written words will appear which will be C:\WINDOWS\system32>powershell
Windows PowerShell
Copyright (c) 2015 Microsoft Corporation all rights reserved.

c) In the next prompt that appears... C/WINDOWS/system 32> paste in this command

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

You should now see this.. C/WINDOWS/system 32>Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

d) The next window will be called Administrator: Windows PowerShell.

e) You should now see all your apps being listed on the screen.

Wait for PowerShell to execute and complete the command. Ignore the few errors (in red color) that may pop up.

When it finishes, try hitting Start and hopefully it’ll start working, Like it did for me. If not, this solution won’t apply to you, unfortunately.

A big thank you goes to metalicgeek because if it wasn't for him I would not have tried this.

Feb 7, 2019

Thank you! You are brilliant. It worked for me. I have not been able to use my pre-installed apps for some time now, and was even considering purchasing a new laptop. Thank you again.