Acer Aspire E5-575 Laptop Screen Won't Turn On

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuanv980

Prominent
Dec 6, 2017
I was using my laptop last night to do some work at home. This morning, I turned it on and the keyboard lights up, but the screen stays black. No logo no Acer no nothing. I've tried turning it off by holding down the power button and turning it back on. I've tried taking the battery out (by taking the computer apart) and plugging the power brick in and turning it on. I've tried turning it on without a harddrive. I've tried turning it on after taking out the RAM and harddrive and putting them back in. Nothing seems to work. I've even tried the F2-F9-F10-Enter but that also didn't work. I've tried connecting it to an external monitor but the monitor doesn't detect any display either. It also makes a loud beep when I plug in or take out the power brick while it's on, but the display still doesn't work. Any help is appreciated as I am dumbfounded.

Also, yesterday while I was using it, it froze for the first time since I've got it which was last year but it was working fine after.

Solution
Well if it is under warranty still, you may want to contact the manufacturer first. Also, if it isn't, you might want to check with local tech places to see what they would charge to test this for you. Need to make sure it is actually the GPU, and possibly the motherboard, before you go spending anything to replace them. It is possible that the monitor using is not connecting correctly or even that the display is the problem and not the board. To test it all should be pretty cheap.
Try this...

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
3. Turn on the external monitor.
4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem, which may require the motherboard be replaced.

tuanv980

Prominent
Dec 6, 2017

I've just tried this, multiple times in fact, but it does not work. I tried pressing Fn-F5 which is the one with two monitors on it but still no response. The ribbon cable is the one help down by yellow tape I presume? It seems fine. How would I go about buying a new graphics card and how am I to be sure that the GPU is the problem?

Well if it is under warranty still, you may want to contact the manufacturer first. Also, if it isn't, you might want to check with local tech places to see what they would charge to test this for you. Need to make sure it is actually the GPU, and possibly the motherboard, before you go spending anything to replace them. It is possible that the monitor using is not connecting correctly or even that the display is the problem and not the board. To test it all should be pretty cheap.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.